Players sitting on Sunday

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
You made a mistake IF you didn't say playing time would greatly depend on statistics.....IF you want to develop and uber competitive team.

Well, it is dependent on several things, another kid might not be hitting but she is a positive influence out in the field, hustles at every opportunity on Defense...I want that kid out there, despite her batting average. If I gave my parents the book, they would see similar averages to their daughters, but they don't know how to judge the intangibles.

I pulled this kid out of the lineup in the middle of an inning one time because she started making excuses that I didn't move her back far enough when she missed a fly ball.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD plays 14UA club ball and they utilize the Flex/DH for almost every game. They carry 13 and bat 9 so there are always kids on the bench. The coach does sub in and out during the game so it's rare a kid gets no time in the field or at the plate.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Would this work in USSSA? I believe they have that rule but most USSSA 12u umpires don't know it.

USSSA allows you to use DP/Flex or EP, but not both. And yes, every USSSA umpire I have brought my lineup card to knows these rules.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
And finally, I hope nobody interprets my posts as being patronizing or all-knowing. This is a great debate, one of the more important ones in coaching travel ball. I'm just giving my side of it. I respect the opposition.

I respectfully agree to disagree.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
It's usually the scorekeeper from the other team that does not know the Flex/DH. We usually get a batted out of order charge once through the lineup.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
How many girls do you have on the team? What sanction are you playing? It is VERY IMPORTANT that you set parent and player expectations up front. We play two types of tournaments - ones we play to win, and ones we play to get better. In tournaments we play to win (ASA Qualifiers) we play/bat our best 9. In tournaments we play to get better we bat everyone and usually have free defensive substitutions, so everyone gets some playing time, and we try to give girls who will not play as much in ASA Qualifiers more playing time in non-qualifiers.

Apr 11, 2012
I agree there. Refusing to bunt or to work as hard as everybody else are valid reasons to bench a player. ...

Amen to that.... our 16A HC would absolutely come apart at a player who would refuse to bunt or ignored signs....and would ask a family to leave the team if a parent came into a dugout during a game trying to explain she couldn't bunt....

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
I really don't understand the mindset of batting 11 on a COMPETITIVE team during the elimination round. Seems like you are setting your team up for failure when you do that. By doing so, you are pretty much guaranteeing one less at bat for the top half of your order where, generally speaking, your run production is. The teams you are playing against are going to be playing their best game/best lineup. If you aren't putting your best lineup out there, then you are at a disadvantage.

Yes, some girls will have to sit. But if they are working hard and doing well overall, I'd say there is a good chance they get into the NEXT game in the elimination round...that game you might never have gotten to play if you batted 11 and got knocked out in round 1 because you wanted to play everyone.

Communication is key, player expectation is key, explaining the rules to parents is vital (I had to have a sit-down with a couple parents recently explaining that when we have more girls on the roster than can bat, that means I can only enter the bench players in if I'm taking someone else out, etc. etc. Since they were coming from a "everyone bats" mentality, it came as a compete surprise to them that there are actually rules that govern how you can/cannot enter/exit a game)

Feb 4, 2013
I really don't understand the mindset of batting 11 on a COMPETITIVE team during the elimination round. Seems like you are setting your team up for failure when you do that.

I coach a 14A TB team and until we hit qualifiers we will hit 11. Our mindset is that it will only allow the girls who may be sitting to get better. Our team has placed in the top 4 of every tournament they played this year but we havent won one yet. Is it because we bat 11? Maybe, but what happens at State, Regionals, or Nationals when you get an injury to a player and a bench player is asked to come through for you then. I would rather take second or third in a normal tournament and allow my players to gain experiance there then to call upon a girl who hasnt been playing in an important game.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I coach a 14A TB team and until we hit qualifiers we will hit 11. Our mindset is that it will only allow the girls who may be sitting to get better. Our team has placed in the top 4 of every tournament they played this year but we havent won one yet. Is it because we bat 11? Maybe, but what happens at State, Regionals, or Nationals when you get an injury to a player and a bench player is asked to come through for you then. I would rather take second or third in a normal tournament and allow my players to gain experiance there then to call upon a girl who hasnt been playing in an important game.

Good approach OFP. You are only as strong as your weakest link.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgeremesz