Players as base coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2009
NE
Has anyone used or use a player as a base coach?

Our league games I usually use as way to get players who don't play as much on the weekends extra time or work on the little things we haven't done well or put in during practice this last week.

My wife suggests putting players on as base coaches to get them thinking more about what the runner should be doing. Since I don't take the league game too seriously I'm thinking this could be good.

Thoughts?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
12U and above I don't have a problem with the suggestion though they are generally required to wear a helmet when coaching.

I've done it a few times when I haven't had an AC.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
LL Baseball, do not know about softball, only allows 1 coach on the field so a Player is coaching 1st base. It seems to work OK for them.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My dds jv team, the assistant coach is also a player for the local CC, so when she is at one of her games and the head coach needs help, the girls take turns coaching first base.

Mar 31, 2012
i think its alot of fun for them, it kills you when they don't get a run in but makes you feel pretty proud when they do

Jan 24, 2011
I coach a 14u team and right now I have a player with an injury and cant play. I dont have an AC , so I am using that player as 1st base coach. It keeps her involved with the team.

Jul 26, 2010
They should wear helmets, but other then that it's a great idea. Last time I coached 14u rec I had two games where I sat in the stands and let the players coach themselves. They led warmups, put the lineup together, coached the bases, ect. They had a blast doing it.

-W

May 4, 2012
Been doing it for the last 2 tournaments with our 12U team. We let them coach 1st and 3rd. Also have catcher calling own game behind plate. Get nothing but compliments from the umps - about what a great job they are doing/what a great way to get them more focused on the game. One ump said he coached 18u team that doesnt have any focus and he is going to try it out. Our girls are really having fun doing it and they are putting substantive thought into it. Further they are following up on their calls with us after the game -soliciting our feedback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse