Player finally pushes coach over the edge

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
I hate excuses and excuse-makers, but I was not at all equipped for what happened out on the fields today.

I've got several inexperienced players this season, but I've always held the belief that I have the ability to coach anyone who wants to be out there. The spring has been a struggle, however, because 2 of the players on our roster seem to have little, if any, interest in what we're doing.

One of them has gotten hurt in almost every practice and game. Well, she was only legitimately hurt once - she got drilled in the tummy with a hard pitch - but every time the team is together, she will go off by herself for some number of minutes to mope. She is quietly very dramatic, but I've indulged her and let her progression happen at its own pace.

I'm not sure what prompted today's obligatory pregame meltdown, but our backup Team Mom handled it and got her back to action after 5 minutes or so. Once it was time for her to hit in the game, though, she refused to leave the on-deck circle and began to cry. I requested time out and rushed over to her. I was initially in gentle mode, hoping to coax her into taking her turn at bat, but she refused to move.

That's when I lost it. I then told her that she didn't have to hit, but that she had to step into the batter's box because, if she didn't, we would have to forfeit the game and I was not going to allow her to do that to the team. I told her that she's 9 years old and it's time for her to be a big girl. Everyone on a team has a job to do and hers is to go hit. She did finally step into the box, but refused to face the pitcher as I retreated to the coach's box. The umpire then looked at me and asked whether I just wanted to take the out and we did.

Having only 7 players dressed for today's game, unless someone was truly injured, we needed everyone available in the game. The player did stay in, but had taken me from coaching mode to babysitting mode and I was pretty miffed. We lost a great game (6-4) without 2 of our best players, so we had a lot to be proud of today. But sadly, it was all overshadowed by this incident, which cost us a few minutes of game time that may have allowed us to get to the 7th inning. The whole affair was so unprecedented that I had to break 1 of my cardinal laws - the 24-hour rule - in order to inform the parents that I had spoken sternly to their DD during the game. They both fully understood and supported my handling of the situation, but this was honestly the 1st time I'd ever had to speak to a child in that manner. In my opinion, in that moment, she was not giving her team an honest effort and it wasn't acceptable.

I'm not happy that it happened, but I'm very glad that the player's parents backed me up on this. My meeting with the parents did not include the player, but I did give her a high-5 after each defensive inning for not quitting on us out there and the mom informed me that she was smiling after the game, a victory I'll live with, even in defeat.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
You absolutely did the right thing. I coach 8U and 10U and that's pretty unbelievable for a 9 yr old. Does she have some legitimate developmental issues or just a cry baby?

Whenever I have to lay down the law to a kid I always go to the parents to tell them what happened. Pretty rare that they don't back you up, they know they have a problem and either can't or won't address it and usually appreciate their daughter hearing it from someone else.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It was a tough situation. You were really frustrated by the entire incident.

We lost a great game (6-4) without 2 of our best players, so we had a lot to be proud of today. But sadly, it was all overshadowed by this incident, which cost us a few minutes of game time that may have allowed us to get to the 7th inning.

You can't control what other people (parents or children) do. You can only control your feeling and reactions to their actions.

While it was unfortunate the incident occurred, it doesn't take away what your team did. You should celebrate your team's accomplishments.

Apr 7, 2012
florida
remember : boys have to do good to feel good . girls have to feel good to do good.. i am learning there is crying in softball , how you handle it is what makes the difference. you did what you needed for team ..great job

Oct 19, 2009
As I read this I was wondering where this kids parents were in this. One of my peeves from rec ball was those parents who thought the coach was also supposed to not only baby sit (i.e. drop the kids off and leave so that I'm in the parking lot waiting after everyone else is gone) but also PARENT (i.e. the only discipline the child sees is during softball). Ugh I don't miss it.

Jun 22, 2010
This sounds to me very much like a girl who doesn't want to play softball at all, but is being pushed into it (by parents?). Does she ever act like she wants to be there?

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
The child was completely unprepared to play softball. But it's rec and rec takes all comers of all abilities and levels of commitment.

Sounds like the child is used to being the center of attention and couldn't make that happen with talent or ability, so she chose an alternative route. There are a good many rec parents that want you to make their child feel good about where they are right now instead of challenging them to be what they can be and risk some discomfort and failure.

Several years ago parents droped off a kid in our town with a glove for the wrong hand - the child was right handed, so they got him a right handed glove. Many parents completely underestimate how good players can be at the younger grades and just assume the kids will just pick it up

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Are the parents at the practices/games? Do they just drop her off and slide out? Because you stated you had to inform the parents of the situation.

Sounds like a text book case of "crying for attention". My next move would be to see how the child reacts with the parents in attendance during prac/games. That will tell you 90% of what you need to know by her actions and theirs.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
You're too tough on yourself, Coach. Your reaction was understandable and the parents aren't upset.

I'm sure it's not this simple but is she terrified of getting HBP again? Maybe show the team how to turn away from the pitch if they don't have time to get out of the way and practice with tennis balls thrown at them.

Jan 15, 2009
remember : boys have to do good to feel good . girls have to feel good to do good.. i am learning there is crying in softball , how you handle it is what makes the difference. you did what you needed for team ..great job
I just retold my favorite "crying" story yesterday. First year of coaching at 12U had a parent call me and complain that pitching was just too stressful for her daughter and that she cries when she gets home after the games. I told her that of my three pitchers she was the only one that waited until she got home to cry so she was doing just fine.