Play for big-name program, or no?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
It all depends on the age of the athlete and if it is DI, DII, DII. This should help:

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Overview+Chart.pdf

So, am I reading this correctly that coaches can't call or initiate contact until the summer before the prospect's junior year of high school? How about acknowledging emails or letters? If you can't recruit prior to junior year, how are some sophomores already committed to major schools?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So, am I reading this correctly that coaches can't call or initiate contact until the summer before the prospect's junior year of high school? How about acknowledging emails or letters? If you can't recruit prior to junior year, how are some sophomores already committed to major schools?

It can happen under various different scenarios. Prospect emails coach and states desire to play for program. Coach can't respond to prospect. But coach comes out to see prospect at a showcase and initiates contact with TB coach or "Team Representative" and expresses interest. Coach may be interested in prospect playing for them, may be even more interested in them not playing for cross state rival. Prospect is invited to and attends camp which allows increased interaction between coach and prospect. Coach says to prospect I like what I see, keep up the good work and someday you can play for me here at Dream U. Prospect states intent to play for Dream U and tells everyone who will listen that they are now "verballed" to Dream U. Prospect now wears a black wristband at all showcases indicating she is committed and is largely ignored by all coaches because someday she is going to play at Dream U.

Keep in mind that there is zero commitment in this relationship. Until the prospect signs the NLI in November of their Senior year there is absolutely nothing, zero, zip, nada in the way of a binding agreement. If the prospect does not pan out coach says sorry and prospect scrambles as a Senior to find a ride. Ends up playing for a Sally's Beauty School. Coach leaves Dream U and the deal leaves with the coach. Coach may want them to come to new school, have seen that happen. But prospect may not want to play at Middle of Nowhere State. And the new coach at Dream U may or may not want a right handed power slapper.

To me an early verbal is a very dangerous proposition. You put all of your eggs in one basket a good 2 - 3 YEARS before you will get a binding agreement with the school. So much can happen in that length of time. Keep your options open!!!

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
Does DD have to play for a marquee organization? No, but coaches have limited time and resources to go see girls play, so they develop shortcuts e.g. "I like the way girls from Team XYZ are trained, therefore I will look at a lot of girls from Team XYZ." If you look at a University's roster you may be able to discern what TB teams a coach uses as feeders. If your DD has a dream school and Dream School Coach likes to pull from Team XYZ, you might strongly consider getting on Team XYZ.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Are you saying that if DD wants to play for that school and initiates the proper contact the coach will not come look at her? Or are you saying that playing for a well known team is easier than the time and effort required for establishing the relationship?

Some coaches window shop for players but it is very much the exception not the norm. To your point it is simply not a productive use of time. A coach would much rather look at players who are genuinely interested in their program than wander around a showcase moving from team to team hoping to find someone who first has the skills they need and second has interest in their program. That scenario makes no sense. Then again I have seen the way some programs recruit so you never know.

Mar 26, 2013
Also very dependent upon your educational and softball abilities and goals.
So it's harder to be noticed at a top-100 D-1 program if not on a team that has history?
Sure, that's logical, but it's not an obstacle that can't be overcome! As RB noted, the 'name' TB teams typically have more contacts and are experienced at facilitating the process of getting a player "seen" (i.e., having a coach specifically watch them in person). For a team lacking the cache or history, the player has to do more of the legwork and contacting to try to get a coach to want to see them play in person. As long as your team is playing in tournaments where the targeted coaches are expected to be in attendance AND those coaches have been well informed of your interest in their school/program in advance (by you instead of the name team coach/recruiting coordinator), a quick look see from a coach requires little effort on their part. As a no name team, that usually means playing in the same tournaments as the big dog teams that draw the coaches out.
As GM has posted, it all starts with the goals for your DD because that determines much of the rest.

What hasn't been posted is name recognition of the team's org definitely helps in your direct marketing efforts. An independent team has to do something spectacular (e.g. top 4 finish at a major event or national) to get on the map like a big name org. That tends to happen more at the younger ages where the top players haven't been identified yet, but it also leads to those players being recruited by the big name teams to play for them.

JBG

Jul 27, 2011
Southern MD
D2 coach flat out told my daughter in her office with my wife and i in attendance, that it made ZERO difference to her what Travel program she played for. She actually said it blew her mind that parents would spend the kind of money they do on expensive travel teams. When she came to see a player play it was her she wanted to see play...not the team she was on.

With that said....I know my kid would not have performed as well as she has if she was not in the organization she is in now. The organization made her a better player because of the coaching she received. So for me...it was worth the extra $ and the TB organization did make a big difference. Other TB teams she has played for didnt make her a better player.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Having spent some curious time walking around several showcases I see the benefits of the more established teams. Mostly by how many coaches they know and are on a first name basis with. They stop and exchange pleasantries and discuss what positions they are shopping for and for when. An established team can also work with the college coach to try and find you a better package. They are your agent during those periods when your DD or you can not speak to the coach.

Is it better? Who knows. Might be money better spent going to the camps of the colleges your DD is interested in.

Apr 26, 2012
Going through this with my oldest daughter for swimming. She is a Sr. now and a final decision needs to be made. We have looked at all Division schools and to her credit her career after school is more important to her. She found a college where she can be an asset to the swim team and get a dual licensure in education. As a father you must let the name be one of the deciding factors not the only factor. Her grades are tops, tops in her class, ACT is great and she has a few top named schools looking but they don't offer the education classes she wants. Whatever her decision support her in her decision no matter where she goes. Could be the biggest decision she ever makes.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Going through this with my oldest daughter for swimming. She is a Sr. now and a final decision needs to be made. We have looked at all Division schools and to her credit her career after school is more important to her. She found a college where she can be an asset to the swim team and get a dual licensure in education. As a father you must let the name be one of the deciding factors not the only factor. Her grades are tops, tops in her class, ACT is great and she has a few top named schools looking but they don't offer the education classes she wants. Whatever her decision support her in her decision no matter where she goes. Could be the biggest decision she ever makes.

Thanks, AB. You might've misunderstood the question, though. I was talking about a 'big name' club team that she plays for during high school, not the college itself. I assume that in swimming it doesn't matter because your times will speak for themselves, but it's crucial to be part of a program that knows how to develop and push swimmers to be the best.

Jun 18, 2010
A few, Big Name Club Benefits:
1. Access to invite only events.
2. Established relationships with college coaches.
3. Access to better facilities.
4. An alumni network.

As an Assistant Coach from an independent team, I can tell you first hand that it is hard to break into the "invitational only" events.

There are several of these invitationals that draw a lot of college exposure. Two examples where our independent team contacted the Tournament Director (TD) requesting consideration for an invite were the Top Gun Invitational and the Tulsa Elite Showcase. Even though our team had beaten many of the "Big-Name-Clubs" (BNCs), we were not extended an invite. To give you some idea, The Top Gun had 33 D-Is, 15 D-IIs, and 23 NAIA schools represented. If you put yourself in the TD's position, you can see why the BNCs get first consideration because they offer year-over-year repeat business where the independent teams cannot.

In our area, the many BNCs have established relationships with college coaches. Some BNC coaches organize, coordinate and facilitate camps and clinics that are worked by the College coaches who I am sure profit from them. So the BNC coaches and the College coaches both benefit from a well established relationship.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55