plan for a new pitcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2013
we have a girl on the our middle school team that we would like to groom into a pitcher for next year. we have 2 8th grade pitchers on the team this year but have no one in the 7th or 6th grade that has ever pitched before therefore leaving us in a bad spot for next year. this will be the first time ive had to groom a pitcher. usually one or two girls in each grade are pitchers. would anyone be willing to share advice on a particular game plan aimed at developing a pitcher for next year. where should we start, what drills should we use? thanks in advance.

Jan 25, 2011
Look at BMs post and buy Bill Hillhouse videos. Also don't be like coach James's dd's high school HC.

Feb 7, 2013
In a nutshell, you need to identify a willing candidate (and parents), find them a reputable pitching coach, or at the very least you have to become their pitching coach. Nanotech is correct, read I/R in the Classroom thread and do those drills, buy Hillhouse's DVDs, and practice 3x a week, pretty much year round. Also, getting time in the circle is very important for a pitcher (whether or not its a scrimmage or actual game). Good luck.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My $0.02..... Your chances for success will go up exponentially if you can find a candidate whose TB team will also allow her to pitch. Working 3 days/week all year for middle school ball is not going to appeal to many!

Feb 16, 2013
thanks for all the replies. unfortunately, not many of our girls play TB. im aware how that impacts our chances of success but all i can do is encourage. we have had really good teams in the past that have had 5/6 TB players and some like this year that only have 2. i realize the girl that we are trying to train to be next years pitcher isnt going to be dominate by next year, but she appears to be our best option at this point and time. unless some stud pitcher moves into our school district. thanks again.

May 29, 2013
thanks for all the replies. unfortunately, not many of our girls play TB. im aware how that impacts our chances of success but all i can do is encourage. we have had really good teams in the past that have had 5/6 TB players and some like this year that only have 2. i realize the girl that we are trying to train to be next years pitcher isnt going to be dominate by next year, but she appears to be our best option at this point and time. unless some stud pitcher moves into our school district. thanks again.

I think that if she really wants it and puts in the time and has supportive parents she has a very good chance at being very good by next year.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

If a girl spends the time and effort to become the pitcher for your middle school team, what are her chances of getting to pitch for her HS team when she gets there?

Feb 16, 2013
If a girl spends the time and effort to become the pitcher for your middle school team, what are her chances of getting to pitch for her HS team when she gets there?

not very good, at least until her junior year. which i suppose isnt all that bad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877