pitching practice with a broken leg?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
DD may have broken her fibula last night - radiologist disagrees with the other doctor who saw a break and she sees an Orthopedic guy on Monday so we don't know yet how bad it is or isn't. As she heals, I'm wondering if any of you have had a pitcher in a similar circumstance and was she able to work on anything so that she didn't have to start over completely.

I'm not talking about starting today but I am thinking of not letting too much time pass.
it could be a good time to start on BMs IR stuff that she hasn't tried yet. Her older sister broke her elbow one year and worked on one-handed swings with the other hand. when she came back, she had improved exponentially at the plate.

it is her stride/lead leg that was affected.

thanks!

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
A friend of mines dd tore her acl a couple years ago, with her left leg in a giant splint, she would still do drills from her knee. They had a little round stool like the kind drummers use. She would sit on it in a modified K position and perform full windmills at him. Granted, she had no front side resistance or correct posture, but when she was healed and cleared to play, she could still bring the heat!
He also said that they spent a lot of that time trying to perfect the spin on her curve and rise. Toying with different grips and releases.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
First of all, I am very sorry to hear about the injury. Hopefully it is not really broken. If it is, my advice is to not push it. I am not a doctor and wont offer any suggestions from that side of things. However, I can tell you that my DD took a 7 week break from pitching during the fall. She was still very active; playing basketball. But she did not pitch or hit during that time. The first few practices back were a little rough but now she is throwing harder and more accurately than before the break. They dont forget much!!

Oct 9, 2013
Obbay...first off. Sorry to hear that and hope its not too bad. My daughter had a shoulder injury in dec. She did not throw for 7 weeks. We concentrated on increase grip strength along with light cardio. Fastpitch26 is right on. The 1st few sessions were rough but she has better spin on the ball now. We get the revfire gun on her soon though so I will know how big the difference is. After they diagnose, get a calendar
, work through the doctors and resist the urge to overdo it. A buddy of mine had his dd to keep test her knee through the year and she never got right the whole year. Good luck. I know its tough but kids usually heal fast under proper care.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877