Pitching pictures (help)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2014
These are pictures from our first middle school game. I didn't take these and I put a lot on here because I am clueless as to which ones would actually be beneficial. I will try and get some video soon, it's just hard to do. We're just now getting control of the ball, it used to be either wild or good, now she has very good control and can throw strikes consistently. We stopped her from learning a bunch of pitches at once and are mastering 3. She has come a long way but still has some work. She has a very loose arm after the ball is released, is there such a thing as too loose? The thing flies all over as you can see in the pictures. It seems like she has a weak glove arm, I think it works against her some times. I'm really trying to focus on one thing at a time with her, so from these pictures is there any one thing you see that we should really work on right now? She's been focusing on a drill we saw here where you drop your elbow to your hip and whip the ball. I am pushing her posture at release because she slouches on a daily basis already because she's so tall. It's a constant battle with her.
pitch6.jpg

pitch5.jpg

pitch3.jpg

pitch4.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2016
there is a lot 1 her arm is not even close to where it should be in pic #5 2 she is leaning 3 glove hand way off IMG_0134.jpg

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would work on her posture. She is not using her hips. The pitch needs built from the ground up and her lack of turning her hips has her arm and shoulders locked out, right now.

Does she know the term "power line?" Draw it in the dirt for her, so that both toes land on it.

Come to Tucson. I would love to help her.

Jan 27, 2014
I would work on her posture. She is not using her hips. The pitch needs built from the ground up and her lack of turning her hips has her arm and shoulders locked out, right now.

Does she know the term "power line?" Draw it in the dirt for her, so that both toes land on it.

Come to Tucson. I would love to help her.

We're from Tucson. Don't know if we'll be able to visit this Christmas, but when we do make the long trip to visit my family I will be contacting you.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
It's difficult to get a feel with just pictures... but I think it is very evident that this young lady is utilizing every version of forward effort there is. She is leaning forward, she is sending her arm forward, she is sending her throwing shoulder forward...

There is so much power, spin, and accuracy available when you stabilize. Think of the shoulders and hips as the corners of a picture frame. They must be still. We must learn to trust throwing the ball off of our rear leg. It is from this position that we can control our body... and doing that allows us to manipulate the ball in ways she doesn't know are possible.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I ask because my DD has what I consider to be some issues with firming up the front side and maintaining a good picture frame, she collapses a bit. My mental image of the ideal is what Jenny is doing, looks super firm and the core looks like it is in full control to me. Yukiko and Sarah, not so much, they look like they lose some resistance and are softer going into the front side. Can you help me see what I am missing, I know there is something in my mental image that is not quite right.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HCockell