pitching parents are insane

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

so, this weekend i used my pocket radar on some local teams in a a 1 day 10U tourney. dad 1 after a showed him that his dd threw 42(which is not bad at all) " i told her to slow it down because the catcher doesnt hae a catchers mit".

dad 2 after being shown 44. ( 2nd fastest at whole tourney) " you should have radared her in game 1 instead of game 3"

lol. pitchers parents are nuts.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
As a parent of a pitcher, I was going to disagree. Then I proofread it and decided what I had to say only accomplished 2 things:

1. It incriminated me.
2. It proved your point.

Signed,
Certified Nut Parent of a Pitcher

Dec 19, 2012
In my 17 years of being a baseball/softball parent and coach I can tell you without a doubt that most parents are insane about their kid's abilities. Things I constantly hear at softball tourneys:

My dd runs 2.7 home to first
My dd catcher's pop-to-pop is 1.8
My dd throws 70mph overhand
My dd has a .600 average
My dd is being looked at by Alabama, Arizona St., etc.
My dd hit a ball 270 feet last week
My dd has 8 pitches

Every parent I have ever met that has a kid that CAN do any of the above never say a word about their dd's abilities.

Like I said above, most parents are insane when it comes to their kid's abilities. It's not just the pitcher's parents......

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
so, this weekend i used my pocket radar on some local teams in a a 1 day 10U tourney. dad 1 after a showed him that his dd threw 42(which is not bad at all) " i told her to slow it down because the catcher doesnt hae a catchers mit".

dad 2 after being shown 44. ( 2nd fastest at whole tourney) " you should have radared her in game 1 instead of game 3"

"Grandpa radar" knows no geographical boundaries......

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2013
Sayville

As a coach I have only one thing to say....Yep

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I know some whose dds throw mid 60s with a wicked drop and a great rise. Bit dad still catches her without any gear

I still catch my DD without any gear, but she is getting bigger/stronger/faster, and I am getting older/fatter/slower/blinder, so something has to give. I get a catcher from her TB or HS team to come to her lessons whenever possible, and I did buy a used set of adult catchers gear, so I am prepared for the inevitable. The question becomes, will I take a rise ball off the forehead before I decided to start wearing a mask? I have already taken more drop balls off the shins than I care to remember, and these days I just get out of the way instead of trying to "scoop" drop balls in the dirt.

One piece of advice I will offer other bucket dads......DO NOT use a raised home plate when your DD is learning to throw a drop ball!

Aug 6, 2013
"One piece of advice I will offer other bucket dads......DO NOT use a raised home plate when your DD is learning to throw a drop ball!"

Amen Brother - Sang Soprano for a week after a particularly good drop off the plate caught me...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole