Pitching Lane Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
And the rule says nothing about the drag foot being required to remain in the lane. The rule says the pitcher may take 1 step forward with the stride foot which must be within the 24" width of the pitching plate. The pivot foot may drag away, but it says nothing about it remaining within the pitching lane.

I thought the same thing until I read Fed Rule 6.1.2.C

c. the pivot foot may remain in contact with or may push off and drag away from the pitching plate prior to the front foot touching the ground, as long as the pivot foot remains in contact with the ground and within the 24-inch length. Pushing off with the pivot foot from a place other than the pitcher’s plate is illegal.

However, once the stride foot touches the ground, the pivot can go wherever it wants. I'm not sure that it's possible to land inside the 24" lane with your stride foot while your pivot foot is outside that lane.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
Once the stride foot lands, the drag foot can go any where it wants. There is no requirement for the drag foot to remain on the ground or inside the lane once the stride foot lands.

FED 6-1-2-c is in regards to the preliminaries prior to the delivery of the pitch. Yes, both feet must start within the 24" width, the drag foot must drag away within the 24", the stride foot must land within the 24" but once the stride foot is down the drag foot not longer has any restrictions.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC