Pitching in metal cleats?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 21, 2013
Made the move to 14U which means they can now wear metal cleats...how does that effect pitching? Is there a big difference when pitching in metal vs molded?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD switched to metal this year and now I cannot get her to wear her molded cleats. The rule change "allows" metal cleats at 14U, but it does not mandate them, so if your DD likes her molded cleats she can continue to wear them. If I had to do it over, I would wait until my DD molded cleats wore out before I bought her metal ones.......

Gbucz

WNY native now in Charlotte, NC
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Different bodies and fields have different rules. We play a tourney that prohibits them at all levels as they have turf fields. My DD is mixed since she loves her Ringors and the metal does not move as freely as molded. I think it is due to the 'ring layout' of the rubber not being well duplicated in metal. Maybe they need to curve the blades to form the ring instead of being flat.

Mar 20, 2013
Large metal Cleats for men are very hard to find for tall guys like me. I wear size 16, and every place I have gone people seem to know a lot about cleats, but it's as if this world was made for men with ordinary sized feet.

I am simply spreading the word that I finally found some Large Size Metal Cleats for my giant feet. This is all thanks to XLfeet.com. They have outstanding service, and most importantly they stock large sizes. The owner has size 16 feet too, and is super helpful. It's not often that tall guys like us can find a store with shoes in our size at all. In fact most of us have not seen a selection of shoes to try on since we were about 12yrs old and grew out of ordinary sizes. It's been hell, believe me!

If this helps at least 1 fellow bigfoot then my goal was accomplished.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
I don't know how to attach a link...but go to "anyone use metal cleats?" Under this same Pitching forum for some good replies to your question. That thread is near the bottom of the pitching forum page. In general you will find that most everyone that has tried or switched to metal loves them and have not gone back to molded.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
When DD went from molded Ringor pitching cleats to Ringor pitching spikes, she couldn't believe the difference; more grip, better push, all around more solid.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
I don't know how to attach a link...but go to "anyone use metal cleats?" Under this same Pitching forum for some good replies to your question. That thread is near the bottom of the pitching forum page. In general you will find that most everyone that has tried or switched to metal loves them and have not gone back to molded.

Just right click on the link in the browser window, hit select "all" then hit "copy" , when you are preparing your message, right click in the message area, select "paste", your link should be there, you will need to have 2 windows open to do this, hope it works for you.

Jun 14, 2013
Made the move to 14U which means they can now wear metal cleats...how does that effect pitching? Is there a big difference when pitching in metal vs molded?
I have a pitcher and she is wearing metal cleats for 3 yr now. at first everything needs adjusting when they make the change from rubber to metal. it doesnt take long though and i think metal cleats are better. i was scared at first thinking how is she going to be able to slide her feet but they do and that whole thats created in front of the plate doesnt seem to throw her off anymore. i asked her on her feelings on wearing them she to perfers them over the rubber. hope this helps

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles