Pitching after ACL surgery

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2014
Update: my DD has been released by ortho & PT at 7 months post op ACL reconstruction & lateral meniscus repair. She started off hitting & pitching at 75% around 5 months, then full pitching with no base running or fielding involving cutting motion at 6 months, to fully released at 7 months. I am sharing this on here, in the hopes of helping the next person who does a search when their daughter has a similar injury/surgery. It was an incredibly LONG process but she got through it & I feel sure will be a better player for it ! We changed her physical therapy at week 15 to a local D1 sport medicine facility & that made a tremendous difference, physically & mentally. Hitting is looking great, she's throwing the ball well, & is getting more sure of her knee every practice. Her surgeon told her the hardest thing, even for professional athletes is to regain their confidence.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Follow your doctors advice and do not rush back. It is better to take your time and go through proper rehab vs. rushing back and risking re-injury.

Nov 18, 2013
Update: my DD has been released by ortho & PT at 7 months post op ACL reconstruction & lateral meniscus repair. She started off hitting & pitching at 75% around 5 months, then full pitching with no base running or fielding involving cutting motion at 6 months, to fully released at 7 months. I am sharing this on here, in the hopes of helping the next person who does a search when their daughter has a similar injury/surgery. It was an incredibly LONG process but she got through it & I feel sure will be a better player for it ! We changed her physical therapy at week 15 to a local D1 sport medicine facility & that made a tremendous difference, physically & mentally. Hitting is looking great, she's throwing the ball well, & is getting more sure of her knee every practice. Her surgeon told her the hardest thing, even for professional athletes is to regain their confidence.

Awesome news! I wish her the best of luck.

Feb 3, 2014
Follow your doctors advice and do not rush back. It is better to take your time and go through proper rehab vs. rushing back and risking re-injury.
Thank you for the comment but she did go through extensive rehab, as detailed in my update listed above your post. There was no rushing back, her release was at the orthopedic surgeon & physical therapist recommendation based on her progress.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Thank you for the comment but she did go through extensive rehab, as detailed in my update listed above your post. There was no rushing back, her release was at the orthopedic surgeon & physical therapist recommendation based on her progress.

Very good! I read the original post and did not read the entire thread before responding....I guess that is what I get for being in a hurry! Glad to hear your DD is doing well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321