Pitches like she's bowling. Help please.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Bad idea.

Good idea...bad implementation! :)

Have her hold the yard stick behind her with the head, mid back and tailbone touching it and do inline lunges. Could have her do deep squats with the stick too... like the yard stick being the bar bell. It will help her build stability in the hips and core ....and be able to balance better.
Something like this
FMS In-Line Lunge - YouTube

May 17, 2011
Wow, thank you for the replies and suggestions. There is merit for each opinion. I'm glad someone said yardstick. I was thinking a board but that would be too much.
Our first drill is about 15 feet away feet facing forward and locked together. Just arm movement for the pitch. 2nd drill, right foot slides back 6" and toes are turned 7 to 8 o'clock position (from catcher's view) also without stepping. 3rd drill is about 20 feet and just does a step with pitch. All of these drills we focus on upper body position, arm movement and repetition. When we go to full pitching we hope for some memory to stay in the upper body movement (or lack of).
Yes, I've told dd that at 11 she probably isn't going to be the fastest or be able to put movement on the ball. But encourage and challenge her to keep improving. Now that our season is over, I'll give her a break. When we start back up, I'm going to have her work on speed and give her a larger target zone to keep the pitch in. Once she's got more speed, we'll work on narrowing the zone again. Because any change can disrupt her routine, off season is perfect to pick up better speed.
Thanks again for the helpful comments.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

May 17, 2011
And we also do the step back drill. Throwing a few pitches stepping back a few feet each time, then reverse and step forward back to the mound. She LOVES that drill for some reason.
Another fun things we do to challenge her. She gets to count to 10 one for every strike, while I go through the alphabet for every ball. That gives her a 10:26 ratio. I've never gotten through the alphabet yet. But she also loves this. I usually only pull this one out when it appears she is at the end and getting distracted.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
If a pitching coach (especially male or my dad) did that to me I would never go back or quit pitching. Bad idea.

Why all these strange devices?

Why would it matter what the sex of the coach is in this? Aren't you the one who is always complaining about sexism? How would this be a better idea if a woman did it?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
So you want a man putting a board in the clothes of a young girl? No way and it is a stupid way to accomplish good posture no matter who does it, notice the word especially. Reminds me of the 1950s and getting slapped with rulers.
Why would I think it is a better idea to have a strange woman putting anything down my kids pants? How is this possibly different or better?

BTW "especially" usually infers that there might be an exception for the opposite.

Aug 19, 2011
Once you do something habitually, you lose sensation associated with it. In that case, it really helps to have something external to provide a guiding sensation. Although I have no opinion regarding the effectiveness of this particular apparatus, providing some external reference that enables a faulty habit to be sensed is a valid instructional technique. As a kid pitcher I might not want somebody sticking a yardstick down the back of my shirt, I get that, but if I thought it would help I'd do it myself. It doesn't seem like it would be painful, or inherently humiliating.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Especially means more so. Look it up.

Good grief. Why do you all need it to be so complicated? It is posture for goodness sake. Now maybe you could put a plate on the pitchers head....
Same thing, it implies that one is better then the other.

I'm not talking about the pitching tip, I am talking about the sexism in your words. Which is something you will champion if it were going the other way.

Aug 19, 2011
If you have a pitcher who is bending forward at the waist at release, who can't feel herself doing it and can't seem to change, who wants to pitch with good posture and balance but can't seem to get over this flaw, why does attaching a yardstick to provide instant feedback have to be abusive? We're focusing too much on the "stick in the shorts" phrase, I think. Wear softball pants with a belt and secure it inside the belt. Use elastic to secure it outside the shirt. Let the student do it at home. If the argument is that it won't work because what is being felt is not really the problem (for instance), that's one thing. But it seems that the objection is the technique is either humiliating, sexual, or both, and I don't think that has to be the case. If it doesn't work, that's one thing. If it does work, the benefit to the athlete is worth finding a way to avoid the mine field of sexism and inequity.

Jul 14, 2008
And rarely if ever do women molest young girls...............

Huh? Stick this in your google search box........"female coach sex".......

Those are just the "reported" cases..........Basketball seems to be the sport of choice for predatory Female Coaches, but you can be sure it exists in all sports at some level......

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd