Pitches like she's bowling. Help please.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2011
Just heading to state tournament tomorrow. So this is a fix that might not help until next year. My daughter is one of the most athletic girls and does amazing at any infield position. She decided she wanted to pitch this last January. Went from wild to 60% strikes since then. But her speed isn't enough to prevent hits. She hasn't had a lot score during her pitching but I'm sure that could change against stronger teams.
Asside from tieing her hair to her back pocket, how can I get her to not lead with her chin. It's seems like it just won't happen because she tries really hard to overcome it but it still persists.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Does she ackowledge she is doing it totally wrong and wants to fix? That would be at the top of the list. Hard to move until you know this.

May 17, 2011
Yes, she knows and wants but mechanical memory is resisting. She does fine on the first two drills but on pitching she must be trying to umph some speed by doing this.
BTW she is 11 on 10U.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Jan 25, 2011
One thing you said, kind of caught my eye, you said that your dd doesn,t have the speed to prevent hits.The best pitchers in the world give up hits. She is young,she will walk & hit batters,strike them out and they will get hits off of her.There is nothing wrong with any of that and she needs to know that.

Nov 29, 2009
My DD is using a heavy duty bungee cord attached to a fence/post during her pitching lessons to work on her leg drive. If you move the waist strap up around your DD chest it will prevent her from 'bowling'.

Speed Overspeed Training Kit MED Power Resistance Bands | eBay

Those things are great!! They are also a good laugh the first time an athlete runs and tries to stretch it out. Had my team a couple of years ago at a facility for agility training. They used those bungees. The first time the kids ran and stretched them out they relaxed too soon and got pulled back on backsides. It was like watching the Three Stooges. :) :)

Jul 10, 2012
If she is dipping her chin my guess is she is dipping her shoulder as well, my DD's PC corrected this problem by having her do arm swings (pitching motion) as fast as she can while standing next to a wall or fence. It took about a week and it corrected the problem!

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
Agree with starsnuffer, get her to a pitching coach.

My DD is using a heavy duty bungee cord attached to a fence/post during her pitching lessons to work on her leg drive. If you move the waist strap up around your DD chest it will prevent her from 'bowling'.
I'm personally not a fan of this during pitching. There used to be a popular pitching coach in my area who used this on all her pitchers, and they all grew up with a "bounce back" movement in their motions, even without the bungee attached, that ultimately robbed them of speed. However, bungee work is EXCELLENT for the leaning problem if you use it for strength training exercises separate from the pitching motion. Get with a trainer who knows how to use them properly.

Generally, leaning is a core/leg strength problem and is often best addressed with working out in addition to further pitching practice. If it's a weakness that's causing her to lean, continuing to practice that motion without addressing the weakness will only reinforce the bad muscle memory.

Feb 16, 2012
My DD's PC has used a yard stick to help her stay tall and not lean. You stick it down the back of the shirt and into the waste band. He would secure midway with a belt or something similar. If they try and bend over too far it will snap and give an instant feedback. It only takes a couple of times.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd