Pitchers playing down in the fall

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 23, 2014
Yes, around here you have to move up in USSSA in the Fall. In ASA the cutoff isn't until Jan. 1st, so ASA tournaments around here is where you will see teams "playing down".

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
We were told in USSSA, you were forced to move up in the fall? Is this true?

Not in Florida. Is in some other states.

In Florida they run 13U/11U/9U tournaments so teams that want to stay together for the calendar year can if they want. Most teams do move up however

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
We were told in USSSA, you were forced to move up in the fall? Is this true?

We had USSSA run our home tournament and to get a round this they just made the Divisions 11U, 13U, 15U, instead of 10U, 12U, 14U. But yes around here USSSA makes you move up in the fall. It may vary by region or state.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
SoCal ASA choices are: Spring Rec (girls play their age or UP), All Star Summer (girls play their age, UP only if players needed), Fall Ball Rec (girls ideally play UP into division they will play in Spring but some will play in current if only choice to at least keep playing), Fall Tournaments (girls play their age.. competitive teams - rarely do you see playing UP), or Travel Ball (competitive teams - their age or UP) year round.

There will be exceptions to the rule and a LOT of debate around the Fall Tournaments (given the ASA cutoff is right around the corner) - reality is that most teams field the most competitive teams they can muster while being age appropriate...

May 10, 2013
USA
We ran into this this fall ball season. All of our girls were 8 or 9u. They all moved up to the 10u division this fall, after playing 8u coach pitch all summer. Had 2 or 3 11u pitchers that we played against. Only one of them really put it to us, if it was up to me I would move my DD up to 11u competition, with the bigger ball and longer distance. Fall ball gets them ready for the reality of 12u ball.

Aug 3, 2013
Illinois
I think USSSA cutoff is still 12/31 so you do not need to move up. They all seem to vote on changing the date every year but it always fails.

http://www.usssa.com/usssa/usssa-general/2014FPRules.pdf

(Page 6)

Sec 3.
The Fastpitch season and Team registration will run fr
om August 1 Until July
31. Tournaments and leagues played after August 1, will qualify
teams for the
following summer’s State and World Series Tournaments.
All teams playing
between August 1 and December 31 must play by the following
year’s
eligibility classifications.

All USSSA teams are to play the next years age/class after Aug 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes