Pitchers leaving Missouri?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
While the school may grant you a release, the conference may be another story. They may have the ability to have you sit out a year if you transfer to another school within the conference. Just as the SEC did with the Fagan sisters after their departure from Florida.

You a absolutely correct, but the Fagan sisters deal at Florida and this Mizzou deal are completely different circumstances.
In this case, I bet the SEC will allow anyone wanting to leave an unconditional transfer.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
You a absolutely correct, but the Fagan sisters deal at Florida and this Mizzou deal are completely different circumstances.
In this case, I bet the SEC will allow anyone wanting to leave an unconditional transfer.

I suspect the reason they are leaving the SEC is to avoid sitting out. Internal team issues or even a coaching change typically will not get you an in conference exemption. Usually has to be a pretty serious personal issue.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think it was an SEC rule, but an NCAA rule, that required transferring student-athletes to sit out, and that a school such as Missouri could choose to waive the rule.

The SEC recently passed a rule that would prevent SEC schools from taking SEC transfers who had been kicked off teams for serious misconduct. This occurred because a Georgia football player got kicked off the team for assaulting his girlfriend, then was picked up by Alabama, where he soon got arrested again for something similar.

So in the Missouri case, my understanding would be that players can be eligible right away anywhere - if Missouri grants the waiver.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I suspect the reason they are leaving the SEC is to avoid sitting out. Internal team issues or even a coaching change typically will not get you an in conference exemption. Usually has to be a pretty serious personal issue.

Yep, correct again. The rumors surrounding the Earlywine situation go deeper than what is being reported at this time. Who knows what the truth really is? If it goes as deep as what some are saying, then it will likely meet the standard needed.

Jul 2, 2013
The Title IX investigation has closed without any violations found.

Report: Investigation finds no violations by Mizzou softball's Earleywine | Mizzou | stltoday.com

I don't know if it's different in softball but the 1 year sit out for transfers is an NCAA mandate. I believe the SEC requires a second year (at least in football) when transferring to another SEC school. That is why you very seldom see players transfer directly between SEC schools. The way around it is to transfer to a non-D1 school and play for a year then transfer wherever you want. The NCAA will waive the 1 year thing in cases where a player is transferring closer to home for personal reasons such as a sick family member or something like that. The school a player is leaving will often put restrictions on the player before granting the transfer such as not wanting the player to transfer to teams on the schools schedule the next year for competitive reasons.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The Title IX investigation has closed without any violations found.

Report: Investigation finds no violations by Mizzou softball's Earleywine | Mizzou | stltoday.com

I don't know if it's different in softball but the 1 year sit out for transfers is an NCAA mandate. I believe the SEC requires a second year (at least in football) when transferring to another SEC school. That is why you very seldom see players transfer directly between SEC schools. The way around it is to transfer to a non-D1 school and play for a year then transfer wherever you want. The NCAA will waive the 1 year thing in cases where a player is transferring closer to home for personal reasons such as a sick family member or something like that. The school a player is leaving will often put restrictions on the player before granting the transfer such as not wanting the player to transfer to teams on the schools schedule the next year for competitive reasons.

NCAA Transfer rules are different for money generating sports (football, basketball, ect) and non-revenue generating sports (softball, volleyball, tennis, ect).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA