Pitcher: Hands Separated

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
The pitcher steps on the rubber with her hands separated as the batter steps into the box with her hand up for time out, which the ump grants by raising his hand. The pitcher then brings her hands together while the ump still has his hand up for time out. Does the time out effect the legality of the sequence the pitcher is required to go through before starting the pitch?

May 29, 2015
If the umpire had called time out, it is a no pitch and play is dead. The pitcher needs to reset.

That said, three comments:

1.) Softball does not have the mythical Scherzer Rule.
2.) Why is the batter stepping in with her hand up?
3.) More importantly, why is the umpire calling time on this?

Did the umpire actually call time, or was he just giving the "hold" signal?

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
If the umpire had called time out, it is a no pitch and play is dead. The pitcher needs to reset.

That said, three comments:

1.) Softball does not have the mythical Scherzer Rule.
2.) Why is the batter stepping in with her hand up?
3.) More importantly, why is the umpire calling time on this?

Did the umpire actually call time, or was he just giving the "hold" signal?
Your point about 'time' vs hold is interesting, it was the umpire that came up to me after the game and said something about the pitcher bringing her hands together when he had his hand up for 'time'. I don't recall exactly what he said and I wasn't clear as to what he meant. I think he was implying that when he had his hand up that meant 'time out' and therefore the pitcher could not start her legally required sequence. In this area it's common for the hitter to raise her back hand to the ump (who will raise his hand to pitcher) as she settles into the batter's box.

May 29, 2015
Now I am really baffled. If the umpire came to your after the game and said something ... Why? Take care of it when it happens and explain it to the coach and player then. I'm just at a loss here."

While the "stop" or "hold" sign is a "light form of time," it is not "TIME!" I preach that if you want TIME! then call TIME! Brushing off the plate? CALL TIME! Don't just go do it, and then, when shtuff goes sideways, claim it was "an implied time."

But no, the batter does not need TIME! when getting settled. If the pitcher starts, you just NO PITCH! it and stop her. Call it an illegal quick pitch if you want, but don't let it go down or claim some mystical form of time afterwards.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad