Pitch progression

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As much as I hate to agree with FFS on anything...

I've looked at a lot of slow motion videos concentrating on spin.

The fastball and the drop ball have the same spin. (My disagreement with FFS is that a good drop ball pitcher can achieve greater spin rates on the drop as opposed to the fastball.)

As to the rise, curve and screw...*most* pitchers throw all three with the same spin (bullet).

There are very few (almost none) pitchers throwing a rise with 6-12 or 7-1 spin.

I've yet to see any pitcher throw a curve or screw with anything remotely resembling the spin achieved by baseball pitchers.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Not sure if the same sequence works for everyone, but here is the one my DD used.
1) Fastball
2) Change up
3) Curve
4) Drop
5) Screw
6) Rise

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
First pitch: The PUT (Pigskin Underhand Toss) with good posture
Second pitch: Accelerate hand passed the elbow.
Third pitch: Pronation with good posture... creating proximity for brush.
Fourth pitch: Internal Rotation with good posture
Fifth pitch: Burn it, make my hand hurt catching.
Sixth pitch: Drive and timing.

• No need to teach them a fastball, you already have. Work on control, meaning righties will need to learn to "miss" to the left and vice versa.
  • Once you've taught them pronation and IR, they now understand how to add speed to the ball (as well as remove speed), making a change-up a breeze, requiring only repetition to gain control. Work up the ladder... not down it.
  • Once they understand pronation, they can learn to enhance it or lessen it... making the rest of the pitches a lot easier than advertised... because they now know how to accelerate their fingers through the release zone... and can do so with different forearm articulations.
  • Since you stressed posture all along, you can then use it to modify release trajectory, enhancing all pitches by adding to or adding another plane of movement to each of the pitches. For a dropping pitch, teach them to raise the release so they throw down the hill... for a rising pitch, teach them to lower the release so they throw up the hill. Shouldn't be difficult, because you focused so much on posture...

Rather than think, "I'd like my DD to throw a (fill in the blank)"... perhaps it's better to see what results from proper instruction... and then find pitches that compliment her natural tendencies... should save you a couple years... and injuries... and heartbreak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1