Pickle 3rd and home, runner at 2nd???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Most of the teams my daughter has played on taught the runner at 2nd to go ahead and advance to 3rd, that way if the runner in the pickle did for some reason get put out you still had a runner standing on 3.

If the runner on 2B advances to 3B you are basically conceding an out against a good team. They will always run the baserunner back to the lower bag and two runners cannot occupy the bag at the same time. Also, as Sluggers mentioned, a "pickle" in softball is usually one or two throws if executed properly, so you risk running into a double play if you try to advance the runner to 3B when the play is at 3B.

Oct 18, 2009
Birmingham, Alabama
I'm in the camp of runner at 2B should get to 3B -- in a hurry. The one thing that CANNOT happen is to have the runner from 2B standing four feet away from 3B, lollygagging, and creating a double play opportunity.

If the runner at 3B makes it back, then the trail runner should head to 2B. In almost every case, the defensive team will not try to get her out, because they don't want the runner at 3B to score.

When coaching this, I pretty much tell the players that if you get in pickle at 3B, you no longer have a base to come back to -- you have to try to make the pickle last, and you have to try to score, because the trail runner is going to take your spot -- your job is to make sure they make it.

I coach the trail runner that the only mistake you can make is not making it to the base. If you are on the base, or get tagged out going back to 2B once the runner is safe at 3B, then that's the fault of the runner at 3B, not yours.

Again, I'd rather have the runner at 3B with two outs than at 2B with two outs. Don't have the softball numbers, but in major league baseball, the probability of a runner scoring from 3B with two outs is .292 -- the probability of scoring from 2B with two outs is .232. My thought is that in youth softball/baseball - the odds are even higher due to more passed balls/wild pitches.

Again, the sad part of the situation is what the girl at 3B did by getting in a pickle. In MLB, the probability of scoring from 3B with 1 out is .663 and with 0 outs is .842 -- the question is - why were overly aggressive and get into that situation?

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
If the runner on 2B advances to 3B you are basically conceding an out against a good team. They will always run the baserunner back to the lower bag and two runners cannot occupy the bag at the same time. Also, as Sluggers mentioned, a "pickle" in softball is usually one or two throws if executed properly, so you risk running into a double play if you try to advance the runner to 3B when the play is at 3B.

A "good" team is going to get the out regardless. Now the question is, do you want to have a runner standing on 3rd, or still on 2nd?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes