Partial Scholarship. Can it increase?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 20, 2012
They work them however they can to get the players they want. A kid says they need 75% in order to make it work financially. Coach will say 100, 50, 75 over the 3 years. Kid get a 75% and coach works around their budget from year to year.

Sep 11, 2015
As a verbal offer, the coaches will say "all 4 years" but it's a year to year basis. In most cases, it remains the same and in some cases it can go up or even get taken away. In my case, I had tuition and books covered and eventually got more to cover living expenses but it took a lot of hard work and advocacy on my part too.

Mar 26, 2013
As a verbal offer, the coaches will say "all 4 years" but it's a year to year basis. In most cases, it remains the same and in some cases it can go up or even get taken away.
Multiyear NLI's have been available since 2012, so any verbal offer of multiple years should be reflected in the NLI offer. The verbal offer isn't binding, but it is still worthwhile to clarify up front whether their verbal multiyear offer will be in the NLI.

In my case, I had tuition and books covered and eventually got more to cover living expenses but it took a lot of hard work and advocacy on my part too.
Thank you for sharing your personal experiences on this.

Sep 26, 2015
Fall ball is over and I still don't know if daughter will play a major role with this team. The coach pulled you if you had 2 or 3 at bats without producing. She started on first team, was pulled, then hit her way back to first team. Most underclassmen switched back and forth between first and second teams. Wasn't impressed with the overall team play, pitching and hitting was not sharp. We played mostly teams we should have smoked on paper and then lost a couple of games. (people were shocked when they heard who we lost to). Spring ball has to be a different/much higher level of play. With the team playing one of the toughest schedules (sec like) and from what I saw of fall ball, I feel like half of the team (my daughter included) still have to prove they can play on this level.

Some of the responses to my original question about the chances of an increase in partial scholarships mentioned transferring. Numerous girls have transferred out of the program in the past. The coach doesn't usually make the girls sit out a year. My question is - if DD does transfer at the end of the season what ground work should be done before the end of the season and when. The program I would most like to target has had a lot of turnover and we have no active contacts. Would like to avoid using TB coach and HS coach both have very limited experience with college recruiting and I realize now they didn't really understand the process (also everyone is saying if not freshman year, then sophomore year for DD to start on current team). Also DD loves her current school, has bonded with the team and I think would prefer being a bench player to transferring. If it comes to it, should I make DD transfer? Financially it would be tough staying in place, but we could make it happen. It just chaps me to pay extra for daughter to play softball (bench payer?). Also we told other academic rock star child that we couldn't afford private school of their dreams. The target program, big home state U, with all the chaos surrounding the program was in the hunt for the NCAAs at the end of last season. They have a new coach and have the potential to be a stronger program than current program.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Fall ball is over and I still don't know if daughter will play a major role with this team. The coach pulled you if you had 2 or 3 at bats without producing. She started on first team, was pulled, then hit her way back to first team. Most underclassmen switched back and forth between first and second teams. Wasn't impressed with the overall team play, pitching and hitting was not sharp. We played mostly teams we should have smoked on paper and then lost a couple of games. (people were shocked when they heard who we lost to). Spring ball has to be a different/much higher level of play. With the team playing one of the toughest schedules (sec like) and from what I saw of fall ball, I feel like half of the team (my daughter included) still have to prove they can play on this level.

Some of the responses to my original question about the chances of an increase in partial scholarships mentioned transferring. Numerous girls have transferred out of the program in the past. The coach doesn't usually make the girls sit out a year. My question is - if DD does transfer at the end of the season what ground work should be done before the end of the season and when. The program I would most like to target has had a lot of turnover and we have no active contacts. Would like to avoid using TB coach and HS coach both have very limited experience with college recruiting and I realize now they didn't really understand the process (also everyone is saying if not freshman year, then sophomore year for DD to start on current team). Also DD loves her current school, has bonded with the team and I think would prefer being a bench player to transferring. If it comes to it, should I make DD transfer? Financially it would be tough staying in place, but we could make it happen. It just chaps me to pay extra for daughter to play softball (bench payer?). Also we told other academic rock star child that we couldn't afford private school of their dreams. The target program, big home state U, with all the chaos surrounding the program was in the hunt for the NCAAs at the end of last season. They have a new coach and have the potential to be a stronger program than current program.

If your DD is already in college you do not need to use the TB or HS coaches to contact college coaches. That is only down in 9th and 10th grade when the coaches are not allowed to speak directly with the player or the parents. It is essentially a "work around" of the NCAA recruiting rules. At this point your DD needs to step up and take control of her destiny and contact coaches directly, and the sooner the better. As soon as she makes the decision to transfer she needs to start working the phones and emails.

At the end of the day you need for your DD to get a degree that is going to help her be happy and successful. If your DD is happy at her current school, y'all can make it work financially, and she is on track to get a degree I would let her stay and forget about playing time. Just keep working hard and things will take of themselves. You need to focus your priorities on the degree at the end of her career.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So she is not really producing and may ride the pine in the Spring and you want to know how she can get more money? Sounds like she is lucky to have an opportunity and is fortunate to be there. If softball is a means to an end to pay for college and your primary concern is chasing money, my experience says her softball career is in trouble. If this is her perspective, not just yours she is doing this for all the wrong reasons.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
A

It sounds like this is more about pride than finances. I wouldn't put much stake in fall ball. The coaches already know what their upper classmen can do. They're going to be playing girls out of position and giving the younger players reps.

The questions you're asking about scholarships increasing should be directed to her coach and it should be your DD doing the talking. She's an adult. It's time to let go.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Fall ball is over and I still don't know if daughter will play a major role with this team. The coach pulled you if you had 2 or 3 at bats without producing. She started on first team, was pulled, then hit her way back to first team. Most underclassmen switched back and forth between first and second teams.

Yep, fall ball is partially to weed out the girls who aren't going to hack it in college That includes:
- ones who don't want to work THIS hard to play
- ones who were only playing because of their parents
- those that can't play at this level
- those who don't understand how to fill a 'role' on the team
- those that can't get along with other people
- who CAN produce when the pressure is on
... and a few others.

It is no surprise you can't figure who will have a major role on the team - except for those players that ALREADY had a major role on the team last year. The coaches may now have a better idea of what they have, but I will bet if you had access to ask them, they probably don't know either.

My question is - if DD does transfer at the end of the season what ground work should be done before the end of the season and when.
One a player asks for a release and gets one they can talk to whoever they want. Be VERY careful. It is very easy to lose a year of eligibility. Not playing or not playing well will be held against you. The new prospective coach WILL ask the current coach what happened. And so on. Players who rarely play almost never transfer 'up' - they normally end up transferring down to lower teams or lower divisions. Players who transfer up are normally stars on their current team,

Easier to rehash old contacts and so forth. If you play out the season there are U23 teams around you can get on to gain interest. But in terms of contact - you are free to do whatever you want.

The program I would most like to target has had a lot of turnover and we have no active contacts. Would like to avoid using TB coach and HS coach both have very limited experience with college recruiting and I realize now they didn't really understand the process (also everyone is saying if not freshman year, then sophomore year for DD to start on current team). Also DD loves her current school, has bonded with the team and I think would prefer being a bench player to transferring. If it comes to it, should I make DD transfer?

Personally I am very concerned about your use of 'I' in these statements. Yes I know you are paying for a lot of this, however this is not about you unless you really can't figure it out financially (and if you haven't looked there is money out there if you do a lot of research and work). Bench player this year and starting as a sophomore is pretty good at a high level program - maybe this is what your DD wants and is good with? What makes you think she would start first year at some other program -especially one which you believe is even stronger - if she can't start at this one?

Also we told other academic rock star child that we couldn't afford private school of their dreams.
Do you have it backwards? Softball will soon be over, but that specialty degree can set you up for life. Yes it is great to see your DD play softball, but how does this work out long term for both your kids?

The target program, big home state U, with all the chaos surrounding the program was in the hunt for the NCAAs at the end of last season. They have a new coach and have the potential to be a stronger program than current program.

Grass doesn't really sound much greener. Also even if your DD did end up there, it will be tough to pass current players AND the players with 4 years of eligibility that the new coach will have brought in. Financially for you it may be better, but softball wise it would be tough. I don't means to come off as pessimistic - just being honest here.

Last edited:
May 23, 2010
Good post, marriard. If I were the academic rock star sibling, I would be miffed. Older sibling in a program that is a financial stretch, mainly so they can play a sport. You don't say how old the sibling is, but if this kid is in 11th/12th grade and a really strong student, do your research now on money for the academics. Look carefully at some of the private schools - some have large endowments and have very good need-based aid. There are also other decent schools with significant merit for kids will high GPA and high SAT/ACT scores (and even more merit if the kid is NMSF).

Hopefully you can make it work for both kids. Run price calculators for the schools the academic rock star wants to attend - you may find some are affordable. And I would give things a little more time at the school your DD attends. There are various reasons kids stress out freshman year and think they might have made a wrong choice/want to transfer. Most decide to stay put after they have put a bit more time in at their current school.

Mar 26, 2013
One a player asks for a release and gets one they can talk to whoever they want. Be VERY careful. It is very easy to lose a year of eligibility. Not playing or not playing well will be held against you. The new prospective coach WILL ask the current coach what happened. And so on. Players who rarely play almost never transfer 'up' - they normally end up transferring down to lower teams or lower divisions. Players who transfer up are normally stars on their current team,
I want to emphasize this point since other post(s) advocated contacting other coaches directly. Players use intermediaries to get around this.

13.1.1.3 Four-Year College Prospective Student-Athletes. An athletics staff member or other representative of the institution’s athletics interests shall not make contact with the student-athlete of another NCAA or NAIA four-year collegiate institution, directly or indirectly, without first obtaining the written permission of the first institution’s athletics director (or an athletics administrator designated by the athletics director) to do so, regardless of who makes the initial contact. If permission is not granted, the second institution shall not encourage the transfer and the institution shall not provide athletically related financial assistance to the student-athlete until the student-athlete has attended the second institution for one academic year. If permission is granted to contact the student-athlete, all applicable NCAA recruiting rules apply. If an institution receives a written request from a student-athlete to permit another institution to contact the student-athlete about transferring, the institution shall grant or deny the request within seven business days (see Bylaw 13.02.1) of receipt of the request. If the institution fails to respond to the student-athlete’s written request within seven business days, permission shall be granted by default and the institution shall provide written permission to the student-athlete.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan