Parents Attacking Umpires

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 5, 2016
Agree that something needs to be done to address this, but people who attack umpires aren't rational enough to be deterred by the fear of assault charges and lifetime suspensions, IMO. It's already against the law. Perhaps laws should be more severe to protect youth officials, but free speech protects verbal abuse and heckling. You can make those offenses that are subjection to ejection (I guess they already are), but then you're potentially inviting more confrontations and needing security and police to be at games. Tough situation. I don't know the solution.
I suspect that if a few parents are perp-walked off the fields in cuffs, their will be a sharp increase in reasonableness.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
The best umps identify the situation early and take immediate action. Call time. Call the manager over and tell him/her that if your parents continue to chirp, I am going to throw you out. Period. Smile, turn away and holler, "play ball!"
It may not work all the time but the sucess rate is very high. The manager has to go talk to his child like parents threw the fence and it is really quite embarrassing.
Unfortunately, unless a local league has home-brew rules, very few sanctions in ANY sport extend an on-field official's authority to the crowd (thank goodness). It is up to coaches, TDs, League administrators, ADs to police the crowds. If an on field official in any sport turns his/her attention to the crowd, they are creating a bigger mess than they started with.

CROWD CONTROL IS NOT AN UMPIRE'S RESPONSIBILITY.

Jun 27, 2021
Just another reason to limit "travel tournaments" to under two to three national affiliations. Get rid of the pay my mortgage tournaments that offer false hope and bad softball.

Jun 27, 2021
Unfortunately, unless a local league has home-brew rules, very few sanctions in ANY sport extend an on-field official's authority to the crowd (thank goodness). It is up to coaches, TDs, League administrators, ADs to police the crowds. If an on field official in any sport turns his/her attention to the crowd, they are creating a bigger mess than they started with.

Agree, ban the coach.

Jun 27, 2021
So long as organizations do nothing it will continue to happen… file assault charges, suspend the person for life from attending AND suspend their DD for at least a game if not longer…get extremely tough and it will stop…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
USFA needs to ban tournaments for one to two years in that area or pull out all together.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

I agree. That is why I said' Call the manager over and tell him/her that if your parents continue to chirp, I am going to throw you out. Period. Smile, turn away and holler, "play ball!"
I works.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
I agree. That is why I said' Call the manager over and tell him/her that if your parents continue to chirp, I am going to throw you out. Period. Smile, turn away and holler, "play ball!"
I works.
The problem with this logic/solution is this: What are you ejecting the coach for? S/he has not broken any rule. You are assuming that the problem in the crowd is the parent of one of his/her players. Crows will be what they are and as an umpire we deal with it by trying to tune it out. Nothing else you can do that doesn't in the end make the situation worse. The OTHER people (Coaches, TDs, ADs, league admins) need to step up and take care of this part of the sport (no matter what sport we are talking about)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves