Parent problem..... already?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Well I posted yesterday about help building rules and expectations for my 6U team. I quickly learned that a successful practice would mean every girl participated for at least 10 minutes and no one got beaned in the head with a bat. You all are great! Anyways, we had parent meeting tonight. YAY! Right? Well it is quite obvious I have 2 parents of a child that are already bullheading their way around and flexing their muscles. It was very obvious their 6U is a superstar to them. Aren't they all at that age?! Anyways, I am looking for suggestions on how to handle parents that are less than stellar. I didn't want to get mean the very first night and infront of the girls just because a couple parents were angry their daughter wasn't put on the allstar 6U team. I am venting at this point. Anyways, suggestions would be great! Thank you!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
In the interest of the safety of all the other players, suggest that this little superstar would be much better off playing up at the 10U level. That simple - problem solved (well, likely just transferred to some other poor sap/coach)1

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
You can't please everybody. Don't try. Concentrate on the girls, not the parents.

Other than that, I can't help. I coached rec ball before my DD went to travel (now coached by Mom, a former D1 player). I loved my parents and after I left they all told me how much they appreciated me because my successor was not nearly as good. (He hand picked the all stars instead of letting the girls vote - yes his DD made the team...and the AC DD, forgot to send everyone notices of practices, and was overall a huge goof.) It was the most fun I've had in a long time. Luckily the 3 years my daughter played for somone else she ended up with great coaches.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Send them on their merry way. At 6 you basically have a dozen cats you are trying to move in the same direction. Who needs parental crap on top of that. Just sucks the fun right out of it.

Jul 4, 2012
What exactly are those parents doing to disrupt? One way to hush them is to address their concerns in front of all the other parents. You don't need to go as far as pointing out who complained exactly, but addressing the issue in front of everyone will help to minimize those complaining sessions.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Some 6U and 8U parents can be a little enthusiastic, not that it helps you at all but most seem to settle down as their players get older.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
After DD’s 8U Rec. year end tourney I swore DD would never play in one again. You would have thought every game was the 7th game of the world series. :)

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
If they are just complaining about what position their DD is playing, or batting, just ignore them. If it goes further than that, you'll need to know how much the Rec organization is willing to back you.

Good luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd