Overthrow on Appeal... can runners advance?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
Runners on first and third. Batter hits deep fly ball to center. Runner on 3rd tags up on the catch and goes home. Center field throws ball all the way to catcher but not in time and the run scores. While this is happening, the runner that was on first advances to 3rd. After a few moments, catcher returns the ball to the pitcher who is in the circle like normal.

Coaches one the defensive team are yelling to the pitcher saying to appeal whether the runner on 3rd left early. They are yelling at her to throw the ball to 3rd.... So she throws the ball to 3rd base and it goes 3 feet over 3rd base's head and rolls far away down the fence along left field. The runner that is now on 3rd base runs home on the overthrow.

One side was saying the run scores... the other says not. In the end blue put the runner back on 3rd base and did not allow the run saying it was a dead ball. Was that the right call?

(blue did ultimately say that the original girl on 3rd that the appeal was on did score and had tagged up properly.)

Also, do you "have" to throw the ball to the base when you are appealing a tag up?

Thanks

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Throwing the ball around to the bases is a baseball thing.

Unless timeout was called the ball is live and the runner should have been allowed to score.

What should have happened is:

1. Call timeout
2. Appeal the play at 3rd, do not need to throw the ball there just ask the umpire if she left early

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Two kinds of appeal plays, live ball and dead ball. This was a live ball appeal so the ball was live and runners can advance. Quincy described a dead ball appeal, when you call time. Dead ball appeals are much safer for the reason of your post (if ump knows the difference). The run should have counted.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
This is a good example of teams not practicing something, but expecting the girls to perform the task with adults yelling at them. Then, the coaches don't know the correct way to make an appeal and they make the situation worse.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I understand the distinction you are making but there was no reason OP’s Team should have made a live ball appeal. The play was over. Same results they were hoping for could have been achieved after calling timeout.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Point one. If FP people would get off their high horse over the myth that this is a "live ball" game, this wouldn't have happened.
Second, the only people that can "call" time is the umpire. All others may request.
Third, parents should just keep their mouths shut during a play, their screaming does not help.
Fourth, coaches should not be screaming at players. As noted, this is something that should be taught and practiced, or at least, instructed how to make a proper appeal. Unfortunately, it seems they cannot teach what they do not know.

Feb 17, 2011
I had a case where we had two outs on a team with runners on first and second and the batter hits a double to right-center gap. Girl on second misses third by a country mile and the girl on first scores also. Two runs puts the other team ahead, and in all their celebrations and screaming I could not get PU attention for a time out to appeal the play. Pitcher gets ball and goes back into circle and I finally got her attention and the only thing I could think of was to tell her to throw to third and get BU attention. She did so and turned to BU to ask to appeal and he asked her which runner she was appealing #15, runner on second, or #31 runner on first. She looked to me and i flashed her 1 5 and she told him and he yells out that runner was out. It took a while to convince the official book that neither run counted, putting the other team back out of the lead, and eating up a boatload of time off the clock which really didnt matter as we where going up to bat when the clock ran out on "drop dead" rules.
Sometimes, with things that are going on, it is difficult to get things "right", I mean to call time out and appeal to the PU. The BU seemed to understand how out of control things were around the plate and took it upon himself to make the call. Dont know if it was right but it worked out for us..... this time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA