Outdoors practice in december

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2013
Got to love the global warming - two weekends of outdoor practice in Central PA in December. Hope we do not pay the price in the spring.

Sep 29, 2014
You know we will...same thing as last year it's getting towards the end of February and we are all just thinking how it's not too bad being in the Northeast after all and then BANG you don't see the infield dirt for the next 6 weeks because it buried under 3 ft of snow...but hey we can always hold out hope. Another thing people always forget it is NOT even winter yet, we have one more week. It was awesome that it was in the low 60s this weekend though wasn't it.

Dec 27, 2014
Last winter was very dry and mild for Portland. DD got in around 10,000 pitches, outside, over the winter. We even got on the field in early March. Normally, it is too wet for that.

This December we have had 10" of rain so far...

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Hard to get ready for Christmas when it is 70 degrees and sunny in Atlanta! We are in our down time for softball, so no practices, but it makes my afternoon walks a lot more enjoyable! Trying to keep from putting on 5 lbs between Thanksgiving and Christmas.....

Feb 12, 2014
We had a pick-up practice yesterday for our girls who didn't have basketball. It was glorious and nearly unheard of in Central Ohio this time of year! Makes me wonder why on earth I don't live in San Diego!

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Weather here in Indiana is crazy warm right now too. We've been having team practice for 2 hours every Sunday in an indoor facility for the last 5 or 6 weeks now, but if it weren't for rainy conditions the last couple days, I'd have had practice on a diamond yesterday. 65 degrees, sunny, light breeze....weird- but I'll take it over the snow and ice we're used to this time of year.

Jun 12, 2015
Hard to get ready for Christmas when it is 70 degrees and sunny in Atlanta! We are in our down time for softball, so no practices, but it makes my afternoon walks a lot more enjoyable! Trying to keep from putting on 5 lbs between Thanksgiving and Christmas.....
We're in down time too. It feels like a waste right now. We wore t-shirts to 6 flags yesterday. Crazy! It's colder today though.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Got to love the global warming - two weekends of outdoor practice in Central PA in December. Hope we do not pay the price in the spring.

Was in NY Times Square and Rockefeller yesterday...people were in shorts and flip flops...crazy!

The bad news is on the average everything averages out. I just don't know if we are now being rewarded for last year!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We're in down time too. It feels like a waste right now. We wore t-shirts to 6 flags yesterday. Crazy! It's colder today though.

The sad part is we have picture perfect weather now, and back in Nov when everyone was trying to play it was cold and rainy....

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
This winter is supposed to be the biggest El Nino ever seen, or at least a tie with the 1997-1998 El Nino. For those of you living in the same part of the country as you were in 97-98, weather should be fairly similar. At least that's the theory.

I spent that year as a visiting faculty member at the University of Central Arkansas. Winter lasted about 15 minutes that year. DD 1 was born in February in the middle of a rainstorm. One day there was about 15 min of flurries during the rain.

The next summer was horrible. over 2 months straight of highs 95 or higher, sometimes over 105. This was close to the Arkansas River, so the humidity was dreadful. Never got below 80 at night. I once made the mistake of turning off the AC when I went on a day trip. Big mistake. I gather Houston was even worse. They had 2+ months of 100+ degree highs...

OTOH, I gather California was hit by all sorts of rain. If that happens for this El Nino, could bring a LOT of much needed rain. although probably sometimes way too much at the same time, so be careful of flooding, mud slides, etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55