Other Team's "Rules"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 27, 2014
We coached 8u last year. All the coaches received the league rules but we found there were a few teams that we needed to go over a few of the rules before every game. Some because they would get mad when we would run to 2nd on overthrow of first. Or, attempt to take 2nd on a ball hit to the outfield. Others because the kids would continue to run even when the ball was in the circle. No umps in 8u for our league.

Aug 12, 2014
The issue we run into is that the umps work a bunch of different leagues and ages and both softball and baseball, so they aren't always up on the speciific league variations. We had one game last year in 10U modified coach pitch where the opposing coach was standing about 5 feet in front of the rubber to pitch, when the rule is very clear that the coach has to have at least one foot on the rubber. Our head coach called him on it, and he insisted that was how he had been doing it every game.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
The issue we run into is that the umps work a bunch of different leagues and ages and both softball and baseball, so they aren't always up on the speciific league variations. We had one game last year in 10U modified coach pitch where the opposing coach was standing about 5 feet in front of the rubber to pitch, when the rule is very clear that the coach has to have at least one foot on the rubber. Our head coach called him on it, and he insisted that was how he had been doing it every game.
We had coaches like that at 8U back when I was there. One of our rules was coach had to pitch using the windwill motion. He started screaming that they hadn't done that all year and they weren't going to start now. Good times. An e-mail to the commission fixed it, they used windmill the rest of their games.

Jun 11, 2013
It's nice when you can start playing with real rules and lose run limits, pitching limits,etc, but until them they league needs to set the rules and play with them. I was at the coaches meeting for our local league which we don't play in to help another coach and the head of umpires went over rules with 8U coaches. He actually had a few that they had to vote on, but he made it crystal clear that that would be the rule. I thought he did a great job of getting them all on the same page.

Mar 4, 2015
Western WA
Sounds like this is a pretty normal issue! We don't have umps either... but even in our 10U it's volunteer umps. I'm one of them but I read the rules for the 10U too... LOL

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors