Opinions on Bat Usage

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2012
Thomaston,GA
How many hits can an Easton Mako take? My questions is should we put 500 swings a week on it in practice or save it for games? What are your thoughts?

Aug 30, 2011
DE
It's a shame $350 bats can't last any longer than they do. If it we're mine I'd let DD put about 200 hits on it and save it for games. Get a bat very similar and use for practice. Bat's like the 1B and 2B got handed down from player to player for years and they just got hotter and hotter. They took for ever to get fully broken in and lasted forever. These new bats break way too quick.

longball00

Softball is my obsession
Apr 8, 2014
Willoughby, Ohio
FWIW My DD has had her Mako since September, and has hit with her hitting coach 2-3 times a week, and at practice every Sunday with it, and it has no sign of giving up the ghost. No webbing or anything, and is just as hot, if not hotter than in Sept. I'm not one for the first batch arguments, but the date code on her handle is 6/13. Not sure what the date on the few I have seen break are yet though. If I had to estimate, I'd say DD's Mako has 2K+ swings on it.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
I bought a Rip It Prototype Air just for the sole purpose of practice because the weighting was close to that of DD's RockeTech (mainly because the price was right though) and it broke in half just after two months with maybe 100 real ball hits on it. The rest were wiffles, softies and TCB balls. It broke when it hit a TCB ball.

Guess I need three bats, a game bat, a wiffle/BP bat and a TCB ball bat.

Oct 10, 2011
We just got ours yesterday and I was wondering the same thing but then I thought, it has a warranty, so we will use it like normal. If it gets close to the end of the warranty, we will just use it for games. That is of course if she likes it:)

Mar 31, 2014
FWIW My DD has had her Mako since September, and has hit with her hitting coach 2-3 times a week, and at practice every Sunday with it, and it has no sign of giving up the ghost. No webbing or anything, and is just as hot, if not hotter than in Sept. I'm not one for the first batch arguments, but the date code on her handle is 6/13. Not sure what the date on the few I have seen break are yet though. If I had to estimate, I'd say DD's Mako has 2K+ swings on it.

Doesn't the webbing make it even hotter?

Jun 7, 2013
Colorado
Similar to what jwalk said, I let my daughter put around 200 hits on her Mako (10/13 manufacture date) right of the wrapper. After that, she got to put 20 hits per week on it with hard balls during the dedicated batting practice, and as many wiffle/softee hits as she wanted. We've played two tournaments so far, and I let her warm up with the Mako as well, plus game use. All told, I would estimate around 700 hits so far, and the ball is absolutely flying off the bat on her game hits.

Now, for the (potentially) bad news: After the last tournament, I was cleaning off some of the smudge marks and noticed what looks to me like the beginnings of a crack down in the lower third of the bat. I know the paint is thick, so it might just be paint-deep cracking; the bat has shown no signs of losing pop, no weird noises, etc., and the crack is about 3/4" and linear, not like some of the shark's tooth cracks I have seen from other people's bats. Still, I am concerned it won't pass a bat check. I'm leaning towards using it until it either breaks in a fashion that is unmistakable, or until an ump rejects it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1