One step forward, two steps back

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2014
Virginia
My DD (13-1/2) has been pitching for just over a year. I use that term loosely as it seems just as she gains some momentum, she injures herself that keeps her for pitching for weeks or months at a time. In the last year she's broken her ankle in two places sliding in to second, had a long recovery time of tennis elbow in her glove hand, is now recovering from a strained trapizeus muscle in her pitching arm, among other injuries. Although she is concerned about not being able to pitch, I am more concerned with the constant injuries. We used to joke about how she was accident prone, but now it is more concerning than funny. Strength training is a priority this winter as well as getting her pitching mechanics down. I guess my question is, is she losing too much time to be a good if not a great pitcher? She already feels so behind. We are fortunate enough to have recently begun lessons with Rick Pauly so I know we're getting great instruction. (Now on hold due to injury) She is committed to work hard but is feeling like time is ticking by and it will soon be too late. I'd love to pass along some positive encouragement, tips or success stories to her if anyone happens to have any.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
I believe Lisa Fernandez did not even start pitching until she was 15 or something like that. I read it before but can't remember the age she stated. So your DD does have time, but she will have to work really hard. You have her in good hands with Rick. Let his advice guide you. Most of all.... Don't panic!!

Feb 7, 2013
I believe Lisa Fernandez did not even start pitching until she was 15 or something like that. I read it before but can't remember the age she stated. So your DD does have time, but she will have to work really hard. You have her in good hands with Rick. Let his advice guide you. Most of all.... Don't panic!!

I believe it was Monica Abbott who didn't start pitching until she was a teenager but then again she is a freak of nature, 6 foot, 3 inch lefty with an incredible work ethic.

To the original post, I think your DD and you need to determine what her goals are and how hard is she willing to work for it. Does she want to pitch on a travel ball team, HS and or college? Is she willing to work 3 or 4 days a week, year round just on pitching? If not, then I would find her another position and work on hitting and fielding full time.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Starting late is not all bad. Lots of girls burn out due to the amount of work it takes, year after year. If your girl is athletic, and devotes herself, she can catch up. She already has a great pitching coach. In the end it's up to her.

Last edited:

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Redcord. Redcord. Redcord. (See Drive Mechanics sticky).

I speak to Rick with some frequency... you guys let me know if I can help.

Nov 12, 2014
Virginia
Thanks for the feedback and encouragement. She is committed to work hard and putting in the time. Thanks javasource for the redband reminder. I'm gonna go take a look at it.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
My dd was/is that kid. We used to joke and call her accidents prone, until it wasn't funny anymore. She tried pitching for the first time when she was 11, but she developed Severs Disease real bad and had to stop playing everything within a couple months of trying it. A little bit after she turned 12 the Severs got better, she pitched for like one season, before she broke everything, one right after the other, right hand and fingers, left foot and ankle, right foot and ankle, throw a couple sprains of the ankles in there, before they finally healed. She was in a boot for over a year, it was like starting brand new at almost 14. luckily in that time I did my research found a better PC and read all I could on this site. She's still behind most other pitchers her age, but she's really ambitious she wants it pretty bad. She practices consistently she listens to her PC, she wants to pitch in college (there's no talking her out of it, right now anyway, I've tried) as long as she's putting in the work I'll be supportive and do all I can the help her. I would say if your dd is on the fence at all about it, maybe try to push her in another direction (being a great hitter, outfielder, SS, 3basemen). If she's truly passionate about it then go for it! Good luck!

Also, my dd knows she has to work harder and practice more then the girls on her team, that've been pitching since they were 9. She has to work harder to earn her pitching time, because they are better then her. Honestly tho if she keeps on the same path she may just surpass them, due to her work ethic?

I hate tacos- said no Juan anywhere

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2014
Virginia
My dd was/is that kid. We used to joke and call her accidents prone, until it wasn't funny anymore. She tried pitching for the first time when she was 11, but she developed Severs Disease real bad and had to stop playing everything within a couple months of trying it. A little bit after she turned 12 the Severs got better, she pitched for like one season, before she broke everything, one right after the other, right hand and fingers, left foot and ankle, right foot and ankle, throw a couple sprains of the ankles in there, before they finally healed. She was in a boot for over a year, it was like starting brand new at almost 14. luckily in that time I did my research found a better PC and read all I could on this site. She's still behind most other pitchers her age, but she's really ambitious she wants it pretty bad. She practices consistently she listens to her PC, she wants to pitch in college (there's no talking her out of it, right now anyway, I've tried) as long as she's putting in the work I'll be supportive and do all I can the help her. I would say if your dd is on the fence at all about it, maybe try to push her in another direction (being a great hitter, outfielder, SS, 3basemen). If she's truly passionate about it then go for it! Good luck!

Also, my dd knows she has to work harder and practice more then the girls on her team, that've been pitching since they were 9. She has to work harder to earn her pitching time, because they are better then her. Honestly tho if she keeps on the same path she may just surpass them, due to her work ethic?

I hate tacos- said no Juan anywhere

Sounds like we have two little peas on a pod. Haha! (Not funny really). She and I did discuss giving up pitching and focusing on other areas as she is a pretty good hitter and is versitle on the field. We didn't pitch for a few weeks thinking it was a done deal and she came back to me telling me how much she missed it and wanted to get back to it. This is right about the time I learned that Rick Pauly was in my area. Well 2 hours away but worth the drive. We got a lesson in, got our homework which includes a practice commitment of 3-4 days a week, got to work and then boom....another injury. She wants to do this and willing to put in the work. I just didn't know if it was getting too late for her.

Jul 17, 2012
Sounds like we have two little peas on a pod. Haha! (Not funny really). She and I did discuss giving up pitching and focusing on other areas as she is a pretty good hitter and is versitle on the field. We didn't pitch for a few weeks thinking it was a done deal and she came back to me telling me how much she missed it and wanted to get back to it. This is right about the time I learned that Rick Pauly was in my area. Well 2 hours away but worth the drive. We got a lesson in, got our homework which includes a practice commitment of 3-4 days a week, got to work and then boom....another injury. She wants to do this and willing to put in the work. I just didn't know if it was getting too late for her.

In BOLD - The MOST Important variable in her future success....assuming good sound instruction.
Underline above - No Way.... Not if she has the drive. Not sure about your area, but 10 years ago in my area (20 mile radius), there were maybe 3 travel organizations? Today, there's well over a dozen. Everything from poor to VERY Good. Her setback may be that to get a hefty share of the innings, she'll be better served to play on one of the weaker teams where she's at the top of the pecking order for pitchers. Better to be #1 on a low B team than number 3 or 4 on an A team.

As she progresses, you can look to upgrade teams.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2014
Virginia
In BOLD - The MOST Important variable in her future success....assuming good sound instruction.
Underline above - No Way.... Not if she has the drive. Not sure about your area, but 10 years ago in my area (20 mile radius), there were maybe 3 travel organizations? Today, there's well over a dozen. Everything from poor to VERY Good. Her setback may be that to get a hefty share of the innings, she'll be better served to play on one of the weaker teams where she's at the top of the pecking order for pitchers. Better to be #1 on a low B team than number 3 or 4 on an A team.

As she progresses, you can look to upgrade teams.

That is an interesting prospect. One that I didn't really consider. As of right now she is probably #4/5 pitcher on her team. Her short term goal was to work hard through the winter to get up to #2/3 (or higher) in the spring. She is the only pitcher for her middle school team so she will get a lot of innings there.