OK Coaches, How Would You Address This One

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Travel softball teams are playing with more and more players than ever. Why is it? I am not completely sure. But too many in my opinion. Coaches, what is your take?

We just finished a showcase tourney playing 5 games going 3-1-1 against some very good A-level 18U (HS) teams, and played the whole tourney with 9 players. The reason we are on this team is because the coach is known for playing 9 or 10 players every tournament.

Gone are the days for us of paying and playing for 14/15 roster teams. It sucks as players get left out, and others are competing against each other continuously for playing time. Instead of focusing on bonding as close as possible with the team they are on and competing against the team they play against.

My message to all coaches, please, I beg of you, trim your rosters to a manageable number. It makes the experience so much better for everyone, and drastically limits the experience this DD had to pay money for and go through. It is not college, it is travel ball. Money is being payed by the families for a service.

As far as the team picture of a 2nd place team. In travel ball I rarely have ever had team pictures made in a general tournament when finishing second. Who wants that? Maybe if it was some big, prestigious tourney, maybe. Still, I cannot ever remember having taken, framed, posted a picture of a 2nd place team.

And probably why the coach left and stood on the hill, probably mad at himself, for missing the opportunity for getting the big prize. Really, to me, no big deal by DD. Others are making much more of it than it really is.

Well in the upper age groups it's almost necessary to have larger rosters. Girls now have work, it's their Sr year so lots of school things, and seems like a lot more injuries. Last year (as a 2nd year 16U) we started with a roster of 14 and ended up having to pick up a player to attend Westerns because we were down to 10 players. 2 players got season ending injuries during HS ball before we even started. This year we plan on a roster of 14 again as an 18U team.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Hockey played on a field. Schools that can't afford ice.

Ahhh some levity! (and my alma mater would agree with you ha ha) :) My point was that I never had a chance to play for the thrill of a big crowd; I just loved to play. Also the OP was wondering how players might feel about playing vs. not - I was drawing from my own experience and comparing my favorite sport to my "filler" sport. Sadly, I am a horrible softball player so have to draw on general athletic experience :)

Jul 2, 2013
Each player, family, team has a different objective. I understand why it is done. A common theme is these young ladies work so very hard to get valuable scholarships. Once they get the offer wanted, suddenly the passion for nationals, the travel, the costs, quickly recedes as a priority.

We are at the stage where getting on the field against the best competition and getting the most rep's as possible is the biggest factor. Our family is not interested in nationals, nor heavy travel, and are fortunate to have a new 13 field complex all the big teams in the area come visit.

To just face the best, be competitive, sometimes even going deep, or hit gap rippers, against signed D1 pitchers is enough.

I have probably spoken too harshly in the recent past about big travel org's. I have the utmost respect for any player/coach/other who spend a vast amount of time on this game. I tip my hat, having realized my sometimes harsh stance was more about our own circumstance, than what great people are doing to advance this wonderful game.