OF is a Good Position

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
Around 14U is when "outies" should 1) be the best athletes 2) be a gang with their own identity -- outies!! -- (and preferably their own coach focused on tuning them up) and 3) taught specialty outfield skills that separate them from girls able to judge a fly ball...

Get a great centerfielder, and you are off to a good start.

Get three great, athletic outfielders that work together...look out!

Dec 10, 2010
A, A
Honestly, as the parent of a college outfielder, parent do these kids a disservice when they tell them which positions to play by how much money they will get for school. A good outfielder who can hit ( or who is so fast on the bases that she is extremely hard to get out) will get money. Yes, pitchers and catchers are high profile positions, but they are not the only ones who get money.

Mine was recruited as an outfielder, had outfielder on her profile, etc. As we have said on our team, "Outfield may not win you games, but it can sure lose you games." As we get older, I have changed that somewhat because a great catch in the outfield can preserve that win. Ask pitchers how much they love outfielders.

An outfielder saved my daughters no hitter last season. My kid couldn't thank her enough

Aug 7, 2012
Around 14U is when "outies" should 1) be the best athletes 2) be a gang with their own identity -- outies!! -- (and preferably their own coach focused on tuning them up) and 3) taught specialty outfield skills that separate them from girls able to judge a fly ball...

Get a great centerfielder, and you are off to a good start.

Get three great, athletic outfielders that work together...look out!

yes, outies, as opposed to the innies... wait, what? Are we talking navels here?

70% of the Earth's surface is covered by water, the rest is covered by my outfielders.

That is great...I'm going to have to use that one.

Love seeing a runner thrown out at home from the OF, or at third from center or Right, well unless she is on my team, but I love to see the good throw.

DD had one of those on a scrimmage Sunday night. Gunned a runner who went around 3rd and nailed her at home with a lot of room to spare. It was sweet...

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
OF becomes increasingly important as a team progresses in age and ability. The number of hard hit balls to the outfield increases DRAMATICALLY @ 14U, so you had better have some outfielders who can track fly balls, drop step, make running catches, and react to the ball coming off the bat. Having a cannon for an arm to throw a 'rope' from the OF to home is a big bonus!

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
My DD plays 16U and has always been a middle infielder, but always wanted to learn to play the outfield. The team she had been on for 4 years folded after this summer season. She's joined a new team that believes their fast kids need to rotate between MI and OF to make them more marketable. She's pumped and can't wait to practice with them after HS ball is over. I've always heard that college coaches look at P, C, SS, CF, in that order. On a lot of college teams, most of the position players were either CF or SS on their travel/HS teams.

Feb 9, 2012
Dearborn, Mi.
70% of the Earth's surface is covered by water, the rest is covered by my outfielders.
LOVE that!!! lol

My DD started in OF and hasn't been able to move out of the position. She is short, a big hitter and on the slower side (3.0 home to 1st which isn't blazing speed). Every time she plays on a team she gets put in the OF. Her new team she just made, she told the coach I'm a 1b/3b/OF in that order. He came over to her and told her, she has a starting position in his OF before she even went in to the IF to work for the team.

She takes pride in her position, her footwork and tracking ability. She works in the IF when she can to become a more well rounded player but she keeps getting told, she is too valuable in the OF. I think she is fine with that, any time we go do extra work, she always wants to work on fly balls.

How that works for her at the next level? we shall see...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1