Odd Occurrence

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2014
I witnessed an overall odd play this weekend in a 12U game...

Bases loaded with 2 balls and 1 strike on the batter. Pitcher throws balls 3. Batter jogs to first base and every runner ahead of her proceeds to advance one base. With the batter-runner at first the umpire calls time and instructs the batter that that was ball 3. She returns to finish her at bat with everyone else rightfully advancing (scoring a run). Any wrong doing here ?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
No, the defense needs to know what is going on.

A play similar to this you see occasional is the batter-runner going to 1st base on a dropped third strike even through 1st base is occupied. Again the defense needs to know what is going on.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Sort of bush league but everyone needs to know how many outs and what the count is. I'm certain most have seen the defense get an out and vacate the field with only 2 outs. How do you feel if a runner advances when that happens OR what happens of they start to vacate, pitcher stays in the circle and kids leave the bag? I think I'll try that one.

No, the defense needs to know what is going on.

A play similar to this you see occasional is the batter-runner going to 1st base on a dropped third strike even through 1st base is occupied. Again the defense needs to know what is going on.

Our team did this yesterday. Confuses the catcher to help the runner on 1st get to second. It only takes a slight delay to not get the out.

Sep 29, 2014
One thing I am curious about is why the umpire called "time", shouldn't he have simply said to the batter "that's only three balls, come back to the batters box". I don't see anything that requires time being called unless you are afraid the runners might instinctively go back to the bases and be in jeopardy of being thrown out, but why would you give the offense that advantage?

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Sort of bush league but everyone needs to know how many outs and what the count is. I'm certain most have seen the defense get an out and vacate the field with only 2 outs. How do you feel if a runner advances when that happens OR what happens of they start to vacate, pitcher stays in the circle and kids leave the bag? I think I'll try that one.

Happened to my DD's 18U Gold team last weekend at a PGF qualifier. Runners on 2B and 3B with one out, ground out to P and the 1B rolls the ball into the backstop thinking there were 3 outs. Their team left the field, our team scored both runners in the confusion.

Feb 7, 2014
One thing I am curious about is why the umpire called "time", shouldn't he have simply said to the batter "that's only three balls, come back to the batters box". I don't see anything that requires time being called unless you are afraid the runners might instinctively go back to the bases and be in jeopardy of being thrown out, but why would you give the offense that advantage?

... this is the same thought that ran through my head as it was going on.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
A couple of weeks ago Joey Votto looked at ball 3 and trotted down to first. Nobody caught it, not even the umpires. Apparently you can steal first base.

May 6, 2012
Texas
Nope no wrong doing the defense and coaches just got caught off guard. Girls just have to keep their head in the game and know the counts. Nothing wrong about this at all.

Aug 12, 2014
Something similar happened to us in baseball. Runners on second and third and our pitcher threw ball four. The runner on third didn't realize the bases weren't loaded, so he jogged home. Our players had no idea what was going on and didn't make a play on him. The runner actually tried to go back to third (after he scored) because he thought he had to. Fortunately we won the game.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207