Obstruction

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 2, 2013
Let me ask you this. Same runner is obstructed on same play but just limps to 2B and stays there. Or runner does go on the 3B but sees throw going home and decides not to risk it. What are you going to do now?

Simple. I'm going to award the bases that, in my judgment, she would have made.

Mar 2, 2013
Perhaps the more lenient "penalty" for obstruction in FP explains why it is much more common than in baseball.

This is why the NCAA (softball) adopted a "warning, then penalty" for obstruction when a defender obstructs a runner rounding or returning to a base. All of the "I'll obstruct because nothing will happen anyway" are virtually gone from NCAA. Those that do occur result in a warning. Only once have I had a base actually awarded because of a subsequent violation. The rule seems to work.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Comp, MTR, Ajay, Brett etc. - you all agree or intentionally avoiding this one?!

Why waste the keystrokes if we are just going to be told how wrong we are :)

For the 20+ years I've trained softball umpires, I emphasize making the OBS call when appropriate and to give the runner any benefit. It is a non-punitive rule so there should be no negative effect on any OBS call.

Some people want to sit on the word "immediately" when that is simply an over-simplification of what should happen. The umpire making the call should take whatever they can into consideration from how quickly the defense will actually field the ball to the known strength and ability of the players involved including the OBS runner. I don't believe it is that hard for a good umpire to figure out. I have found that when we see problems is when an umpire overthinks the entire play, what-iffing every move by the runner and fielders to the point of trying to justify what end up being a guess in a lot of cases.

What the umpire shouldn't take into consideration is subsequent play. I.E., R1 obstructed on the way to 2B on a ball to left field. BU observes how deep F7 is playing and determines 3B to be the award. As the runner rounds 2B and heading toward 3B, the throw shorthops F6. When 3BC sees the ball bounce away, s/he figures his runner has a free pass and sends her. F6 easily recovers the ball and throws out R1 at the plate.

The umpire's original judgment was accurate and 3B negated the affect of the OBS. The attempt to advance home on the failure of defense to cleanly receive the throw from the OF had nothing to do with the OBS regardless of how close the play may have been. Yes, this does require keen observation by the umpire, but isn't that what they are paid to do?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
This is why the NCAA (softball) adopted a "warning, then penalty" for obstruction when a defender obstructs a runner rounding or returning to a base. All of the "I'll obstruct because nothing will happen anyway" are virtually gone from NCAA. Those that do occur result in a warning. Only once have I had a base actually awarded because of a subsequent violation. The rule seems to work.

IME by the time they are playing NCAA, they have learned how to self police. The problem is more prevalent at the U12-U16 levels IMO.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Why waste the keystrokes if we are just going to be told how wrong we are :)

For the 20+ years I've trained softball umpires, I emphasize making the OBS call when appropriate and to give the runner any benefit. It is a non-punitive rule so there should be no negative effect on any OBS call.

Some people want to sit on the word "immediately" when that is simply an over-simplification of what should happen. The umpire making the call should take whatever they can into consideration from how quickly the defense will actually field the ball to the known strength and ability of the players involved including the OBS runner. I don't believe it is that hard for a good umpire to figure out. I have found that when we see problems is when an umpire overthinks the entire play, what-iffing every move by the runner and fielders to the point of trying to justify what end up being a guess in a lot of cases.

What the umpire shouldn't take into consideration is subsequent play. I.E., R1 obstructed on the way to 2B on a ball to left field. BU observes how deep F7 is playing and determines 3B to be the award. As the runner rounds 2B and heading toward 3B, the throw shorthops F6. When 3BC sees the ball bounce away, s/he figures his runner has a free pass and sends her. F6 easily recovers the ball and throws out R1 at the plate.

The umpire's original judgment was accurate and 3B negated the affect of the OBS. The attempt to advance home on the failure of defense to cleanly receive the throw from the OF had nothing to do with the OBS regardless of how close the play may have been. Yes, this does require keen observation by the umpire, but isn't that what they are paid to do?

Can't say it any better than this....

Oct 7, 2014
Upper Midwest
/thread hijack

Scenario: 14U. ASA. B1/R1 line drive to RF, rounds 1B, F4 collides with R1 in the baseline, R1 crawls back to 1B, PU (single umpire, no BU) holds out left arm, simultaneously RF fields ball and throws to P in circle, R1 stands and trots to 2B. P makes no attempt to 2B.

What's the call? (I will reveal actual result).

No replies. And I'm headed home in a few. So I'll share: Called out for taking a base with ball in circle. PU's arm never came down. PU stated R1 should have waited for him to call time. Then he would award 2B. Argh. I believe he made the correct call per the rules, given his reasoning, from his POV. Teachable moment. Didn't make me or R1 feel any better at the time. Monster hit. Collision. Out.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00