Obstruction at first base?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2011
Just so I am better informed, we had an incident last night in which our batter laid a bunt down to the 3B line. The second baseman covered on the play and stood about two feet in front of first literally straddling the base line(blocking both the white and orange bags). Our runner actually jumps over the girl (to avoid a collision just to get to the base).

I assumed the fielder tagged our runner since she was not tagging the base. Our runner was called out. Is this obstruction? It sure seemed like it to me.

This was a rec game so it wasn't a big deal, but I would like to hear other opinions. The umpires were both HS kids who obviously had no idea. The explanation I got was that they consulted the opposing coaches and the other coaches said it was not obstruction (surprise surprise).

I think we loosely follow Khoury League rules...couldn't find anything specific online last night to help.

Mar 29, 2012
Obstruction
A fielder, while not in possession of the ball, or in the act of fielding a batted ball, which impedes the progress of a baserunner who is legally running bases.

Since your runner was tagged out I am guessing 2B had the ball before runner arrived and it was legal, if not and your runner had to stop, slow down, go around the defender who didn't have the ball then obstuction.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kograd