OBS? No?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
NCAA rules on obstruction slightly different, but even under their definition it should have been ruled obstruction.

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I saw it a little differently. Catcher initially set up in front of the baseline and took a step back to field the throw hop. Prior to that it seemed like the runner was already taking a widen outside path in anticipation of trying to miss a swipe tag. She just went that much farther out as the catcher stepped back to catch the ball. If she just runs straight down the line, the catcher is behind the line by the time the runner reaches her. Not saying I'm right, but I see why the ump called it that way.

Jun 22, 2008
Yes, the runner may have already been on a wide route behind the plate, but the instant the catcher moved back and the runner changed course further it became obstruction. And, a runner rounding 3rd at speed is never going to be coming straight down the line. The defense does not get to dictate the path the runner takes to the plate, the runner can choose whatever path they like and if they are impeded in any way by a defensive player without possession of the ball (for NCAA it is possession or in the immediate act of catching the ball which has been defined as the ball actually entering the glove) it is obstruction.

Nov 8, 2014
I like the result of the play even if the "impedes in any way without possession of the ball" is controlling here like Comp stated. If the catcher set up in front of the plate and the runner took an inside path to the plate, that turns it into to a race to the fielder by the runner. Just get there before the ball and you are protected.

Nov 8, 2014
Actually, Im changing my opinion that I liked the result. This is OBS. A fielder without the ball and not making an initial play on a batted ball has to give way to the runner. Period. The catcher should have stepped forward to give the runner a clear path. There is interference on the books to protect the fielder. If the runner altered path to take out the fielder or beat her to the ball so to speak, that would ne interference. She chose to step back to assist her in making the grab and probably increase her chance of making the tag.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Actually, Im changing my opinion that I liked the result. This is OBS. A fielder without the ball and not making an initial play on a batted ball has to give way to the runner. Period.

That simply is not true, but in this case it is OBS based on NCAA's new wording.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877