Not ready for TravelBall

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
California
My DD just turned 11 playing in 10u rec ball. This is her 2nd year of playing softball. She went from not knowing what the 'box' is last year to making the all star team this year and being one of the best on her team. She is always asking to go play catch or if I can pitch to her so she can practice. We even use the treat of taking softball away as punishment and got her grades in school up to straight A's with 1 B.

She wanted to learn how to pitch and after 1 full year of pestering me to teach her, I asked around and got a friend who coaches rec ball to start teaching her. After a few months learning how to pitch, working with her rec ball coach after practice and side practice with my friend, she's the #2 pitcher on her rec ball team. My buddy recommended we take her to a pitching PC and we started doing that.

She was asked to try out for the travel ball team towards the end of rec ball but didn't make it. The TB coach was up front and explained to us that "She's just not ready yet."

My DD loves the game and wants to play. Mom and I want her to continue to learn and play the game she loves. She's keeping her end of the deal up by getting her grades up and keeping it there. I want to do the same. What options are there for us? How can she continue to learn the game to gain the experience she needs if she is not playing? Any suggestions would be great. Just like my DD, I'm new to this as well. Thanks

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Well really it sounds like she tried out for 1 TB team? There are probably so many around where you live looking for players. Just because 1 team said no, don't give up.

Where are you located? There are many on this board that could probably point you in the right direction

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
All that I know about Freemont is that it's in California, which surely means there must be lots of travel teams of various levels. If you can make a rec all-star team at 10U, you can make some travel team out there, especially if you're that eager to play. As CK said, keep trying. Maybe someone in NorCal can give you more specific advice on where to find teams.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Do a search for local tournaments this weekend. Visit the tournament, ask if any team is short and looking for players. If she's a decent pitcher, look for a team that's struggling to get outs.

Feb 3, 2011
There are some top programs like the San Jose Sting within 30 minutes of you. At the ASA-B level, you could look at programs like the San Mateo Slammers or San Ramon Stompers (I hope I got those in the right order). They're out there, just keep your eye on tryouts and you could very well find a spot before the summer is over.

The DF classifieds often have Bay Area listings:

DF Softball Team Announcements Page - A Bravenet.com Classified Ads

Jan 22, 2011
Did she play in the Fremont rec league and make the All-Star team, but not the ASA 'B' summer team-- the Flyers?

May 24, 2013
California
no she actually didnt' play in Fremont rec ball, played in union city rec ball and made the all stars but not the TB in Union City. Flyers are close to only those that played rec ball in Fremont so not an option for us.

Thanks all for the replies, we'll keep on looking into other tryout if we can find them. Great idea about going to the local tournaments and talk to people. If nothing else we're much more prepared for next year.

Please keep all the suggestions coming. They are helpfull.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC