No Jeans Allowed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
That's really odd. What's wrong with jeans? It's not like the players are wearing them.

Ump may have had a point:
th

Jan 22, 2011
I'm pretty sure in California NFHS rules say no jeans, but I don't have to worry about that until next fall when my DD starts playing MS ball.

ASA Rule 4, Section 7.B says 'Coaches must be neatly attired or dressed in the team uniform. If a coach wears a hat/cap, it must be approved head wear.
EFFECT: The coach(s) cannot be on the playing field to coach their team'

I've always dreamed of pulling out that rule if a coach in rec starts insisting the umpire enforce obscure rules. I have a pair of black softball pants in my car most of the time. Of course, if you are wearing a suit and tie, I don't see how an umpire can say you aren't neatly attired.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
It is generally accepted that wearing jeans on the field as a coach, at any level, is considered "disrespecting" the game. The proper attire is either shorts at knee length, a coaches shirt (preferably collared) with the team logo on it, a pullover with the team logo on it plus track type sweat pants (not collared at the bottom) when it's cold and an approved cap or visor with the team logo on it. There's nothing in the rules that specifically states this unless it's in the HS or NCAA rule books. Not saying it is, just that it may be depending upon the state and possibly college.

That said, with the dress fashions continually changing towards the more leisure/comfort wear, I can't see where it's really any umpires business what you wear on the field unless it's specifically written in the rulebook what is necessary. However, open toed shoes such as slides/flip flops are a no-no since it poses a potentially hazardous situation with hard hit foul ground balls possibly caroming off the toes. Also, I wouldn't deem tank top white tee-shirts (otherwise known as "wife-beaters" in some parts of the country) and cut-off jean shorts appropriate coaches wear either. JMHO.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
NFHS says any coach on the field of play shall be attired in school uniform or jersey/coaching shirt with coaching shorts/slacks or warm-up suits (including fleece warm-ups) in school colors or colors of khaki, black, white or grey. Cut-fast or any type of jeans are prohibited. Jackets are not considered part of the coach's uniform.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I'm pretty sure in California NFHS rules say no jeans, but I don't have to worry about that until next fall when my DD starts playing MS ball.

ASA Rule 4, Section 7.B says 'Coaches must be neatly attired or dressed in the team uniform. If a coach wears a hat/cap, it must be approved head wear.
EFFECT: The coach(s) cannot be on the playing field to coach their team'

I've always dreamed of pulling out that rule if a coach in rec starts insisting the umpire enforce obscure rules. I have a pair of black softball pants in my car most of the time. Of course, if you are wearing a suit and tie, I don't see how an umpire can say you aren't neatly attired.

When I first started coaching years ago, I wore an Iron Maiden t-shirt on the field during a tournament.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Sounds like just another jerk taking pride in his work.

If you have nothing better to do at a tournament or game than hassle a coach about wearing jeans you really need to re-examine your life.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55