next pitch to learn?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2011
Bucket
I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ but not sure I understand why you need two change ups. My 13u dd knows a drop, change and a cutter. Her PC says not to get worked up into how many different pitches she can throw. Most college pitchers throw three pitches that they can hit very proficiently. They may know more but rely on just those three. The only other pitch my dd may learn is the rise later this off season.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
What's the next pitch to learn after two different change ups?

4 Different Drop Balls.........You alway have to double what you've done previously in order to stay ahead of the other pitching dads/moms........

Example: Next is 8 Different Rise Balls, 16 Different Curve Balls, 32 Different Screwballs......Etc....Etc....Etc......

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
oaktree,
A lot depends on age, speed, form, and other pitches she throws. With no other info provided, all we know is that she knows how to throw two changes, but don't know if she has mastery of both. If you could provide a few more details about other pitches, her style and maybe a video of a fastball, it would be easier to make a recommendation.

I like a progression that goes like this:
-fastball (with form, speed and control mastered)
-drop
-change
-whatever presents itself as the next pitch...

Again, if you could add a few more details, it would really help.

Ken

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
BoardMember,
I can throw:
-1 FB
-4 CU's
-4 RB's
-4 CB's
-3 DB's
-1 weak scrop

I'm 48, 6.4, M and cruise around 55 with next-to-zero time to practice. I have mastery of none, apparently muscle the ball and have almost no one who is willing to catch for me. What pitch should I add to my repertoire? Please text your response--as right now, Suzette is about to start my hand massage prior to the manicure.

Thanks,
Ken

Feb 7, 2013
What's the next pitch to learn after two different change ups?

Convert her fastball to a drop ball. Next, learn a pitch that comes into a right handed batter like a cutter or screw ball. Last pitch to learn is a riseball.

I don't know why you would need two change ups. Pick the one she throws the best and abandon the other one. Less is more when it comes to the number of pitches you need to "master".

Jun 24, 2013
Can she hit her spots consistently with what she already throws?
I ask not to be facetious. I have had pitchers come to my team bragging of 7-8 pitches and control of none of them. I would rather take a P that can hit her spots, but only has 2 pitches over a P that has lots of pitches but cannot reliably hit her spots when needed.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd