Newbie Trying to Help DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 3, 2013
I have been reading this forum for about a week and the discussions about I/R really makes sense to me. My DD is 9 and just starting pitching. She has had about 5 lessons from someone local who pitched at a small college. I was seeing improvement over the last couple of weeks but something just seemed off. I looked at some videos on youtube to try to figure out what makes sense to me as I come from a baseball back ground. Pitching in fastpitch seemed foreign to me and then I saw Bill Hillhouse on a couple of videos. It was starting to click and then I discovered this site. We are in south Mississippi and there are very few instructors in the state. One or two with pretty good credentials but a lot of self taught kids and parents. I see a lot of the girls that I believe are either using hello elbow (which is how my daughter was being taught) or just pushing the ball out straight with the wrist flip. Some actually just flip it hard at the hip and abruptly stop the motion. We have started the drills on the site and it seems the hardest part already for my daughter is ball position (i.e. ball up at 9 o'clock) and I think its just from previous drills which had the ball pointing toward second. The second part is when she finishes the motion she wants to finish with her hand and thumb down kinda hard like I think you would do with a rollover drop. My question is her finish motion ok and if anyone knew of an instructor who teaches I/R within driving distance or how long we can go at this alone before needing extra help?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Only had a few and this list is several years old. Good luck

MISSISSIPPI

Ripley, MS. Michael Miskelly miskelly@ripleycable.net Pitching, hitting and fielding instruction
Gautier, Mississippi. Jimmie Stewart jstewart03@cableone.net 228-249-5155 Pitching, hitting and catching instruction given at Gulfcoast Fastpitch Academy 113 Longwood Drive Gautier, Mississippi 39553. USSSA certified instructor.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Strike,
Without seeing her first hand, so to speak, it's hard to confirm that her follow through is good. Generally, the palm faces up or towards 3B (RHP) just prior to the elbow pausing at the side. The forearm/hand will loosely rotate during the whip, to palm facing the belly (or down) in follow through. Can you post a video from the side?

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2013
I will try to get a video up tomorrow. Today it seemed more natural for her to follow through to her opposite shoulder and said that felt more comfortable. Thanks for the advise and hopefully we are getting on track.

Apr 3, 2013
Here are a couple of videos of my daughter. I know we have a few issues especially keeping the foot from moving forward. Again, she fights her arm at follow through but we have only been working getting her out of the hello elbow for about three days. She has had five lessons but has been working really hard.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=284735348327977" width="568" height="320" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2013
Second video

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=284735804994598" width="568" height="320" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2013
Well I don't know what I did wrong. Posting from facebook since I don't have a youtube account

Apr 3, 2013
I don't think we will go back because of what she was being taught. That is what led me to this site.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors