New to the mound.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 30, 2011
Ive been told that a time or to as well but how do I go about teaching her this. Ive seen videos of girls pitching on a line, is this what you would recommend?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
One question. Doesn't her PC put down a power line? Run it beside her right foot. It can be as simple as drawing it with a stick. I use the handle of my bat.

Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
What helped my DD cure the excessive foot turn was to thinking about keeping her knee pointed at the target as she loaded into her leg drive. Getting just this right will clean up some other little things before they become too ingrained. Specifically, I see a little to excessive lean in as she gets to release. This causes her to lose 'connection' and the pitch becomes more arm powered. I know this is a slight nit-pick but getting the connection right is the key to success. She looks good and powerful otherwise.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
"What helped my DD cure the excessive foot turn was to thinking about keeping her knee pointed at the target as she loaded into her leg drive"

I like that cue. Can I use it?

Jun 18, 2010
Thanks for sharing. As others have mentioned, pushing straight off from the pitcher's plate... For my DD, we had to modify her pre-motion so that she would start with her hips and shoulders square for that straight push off. Some are able to get back to a good push off position with their chosen pre-motion, my DD wasn't.

Work on more reverse posture at release... nose behind toes.... nose behind belly button...

nttm_zpsed0247c8.png

Practice without a ball trying to get into this position at release:

finch_release_zpsddc12d13.png

abbot_release_zpse25b26eb.png

Go through the motion without the ball 5 times for every one with the ball to have her get the feel of the proper posture at release.

Mar 30, 2011
Alan, she tends to throw inside more so then high or low. However vertically speaking, she does miss high more so then low.

I was just trying to find the cause of her leaning over at release. It's hard to tell in the video but it almost looks like she almost uses IR but at the last minute her hand gets behind the ball and she uses her bicep to throw the ball as in HE. I've noticed that pitchers that use their biceps for their velocity will lean over trying to keep the ball down.

I like what knightsb suggested. Nose behind belly button.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She looked good to me until the end when she swung her right foot around and took a step toward the catcher. The proper motion is for the drag foot to stay behind the landing foot. Attached is a video of Amanda Scarborough, and All-American pitcher. Watch her drag foot (right foot). Notice that she never brings it in front of her left foot after release. Now look at your DD rotate her hips and put her right footway in front of her left foot.

Softball pitching is about momentum transfer. So, every part of her body moving toward the catcher after release results in a decrease in speed. Suppose you had a brick on the dashboard of the car and you wanted the brick to sail through the front windshield. Would you gradually slow down the car or slam on the brakes? Same thing for softball...you get the body moving toward the catcher in a nice straight line and then stop it. All the momentum generated by the body is transferred to the arm and then the ball.

The best drill for this is a "Carolina Walk Through". She walks forward and throws the ball, then she keeps her drag foot up after release until the ball is returned. It takes some work to get this right, but she'll be able to finally get it. Here is a video of Cat Osterman more or less doing the drill: http://youtu.be/JrFcAcDq1Rs

On another matter--when she starts having pitches (curve, rise, drop), where is she going to get her grip? The way she is going, she will end up showing the grip to the batter. It doesn't matter at her age group, but she'll have to change no later than 14U. It would be better for her to do it right now--one less thing to relearn.

She should start out with her hands together, and then take the arm back.

[video=youtube_share;k5X86nD_WS4]http://youtu.be/k5X86nD_WS4[/video]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball