new hitting area

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Man- there are so many great ideas in those pics if you take a close look. Love the moving blankets with the hitting zone painted on them. I can picture how those would soak up softballs.

My current setup is a 50' by 10' EBAY batting cage in a pole barn with no interior walls or ceiling. It got pretty nippy last winter and it's like a easy bake oven in the summer. My buddy and I are putting steel ceiling in right now and I am going to insulate the ceiling and walls a little bit at a time. That should keep it alot warmer into the winter and cooler in the summer. I was thinking about tank top LP infrared heaters to warm up a spot at each end of the cage but I am going to have to go look at those electric heaters now.

The cage was about 300 bucks but it has by far been the best money I ever spent on softball. My only regret is that it isn't a little wider. We usually set up a tee station at each end and then pitch to the girls after the tee stations are completed. After seeing the above pics I think I am going to set up a tee station like that and we could condense our time practicing, there is some sitting around while the entire cage is used by a pitcher and one hitter. I am going to build one of those PVC bat racks too. My softball bats and junk looks like a bomb hit it.

Great post- some great ideas. ww.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Yes the double moving blankets soak up the balls and they drop straight down. Out of 100 balls might get 4-5 out of the net.
I had a outdoor 60X12wX10h outdoor batting cage. Sold it, daughter started college
But I do 95% tee work with daughter last 2 years of highschool 5% machine

When she was 6-14 years old, her and the rest of the team. 50% tee work. 40% 5 hitting stations 10% cage unless working on bunting.

I liked the pitching machine more for fly balls, low, high, over the shoulder, ect. fast and plenty of reps for the girls.
Every girl on the team was an outfielder as far as fielding a fly of every aspect.

Straightleg

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Some hitting stations
They varied from year to year some.

1. tee with me in garage
2. I had a wheeler dealer soft toss machine set on the slowest speed. Used for timing into jugs net
3.pvc bat one arm drills into jugs net
4.whip hit station into another brand net
5. Long piece of wood behind back to tilt and rotate and knock a ball off tee. teach's tilt and turn. into side of batting cage net
6. soft toss middle and outside hitting, rotate as needed into another brand net
7. cage & machine, bunting, middle and outside hitting in batting cage.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Wow, Straightleg your hitting facility and the amount of hitting aids is very impressive. It is obvious that you have taken your time and have a thought out area to improve a hitter’s ability. As a “Gadget Guy” myself, I am always interested in devices designed to help a player reach their potential. Also, I like the Pine 1x4 beaded ceiling detail that you used. I have a couple of questions that I think that many of the other forum readers would like to know.
1. What is the “Connection device”? I recall a couple of years ago a short video link to someone swinging a device that resemble this. Could you shed some light on how it was made and how it is used? Also, what are its benefits? I think that I’d like to fabricate this device but I need some sort of idea.
2. What are “Double Stackers” and a “Hammer Drill Device”? Could you explain these and give us a detailed picture? Again, I’d be interested in these.
3. Who rides the Unicycle? Is this where you get “Straightleg from?
Thanks for the great photos. D'E

Have a pole barn - wood on the ceiling keeps the heat in some in the hitting area
1.Connection device is the one with white pipe and two curved electricial gray 90"s attached to it. Adjustable
I just use it for slo - motion to impact
Mainly elbows working together in swing
2. I meant tee stackers. 2 balls on a tee, click one ball off leaving the other. Dont do this very often
Unicycle I used to ride in my 20's, have not let my kids use it in fear of them breaking there neck.
In the swing you go out to toe touch bent knee, rotation starts and you hit off a firm front leg or "straightleg"!!

Straightleg

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Couple of hitting aids
Hand Path
Whip Hit

Attachments

• hitting devices 003.jpg
    hitting devices 003.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 100
  • hitting devices 002.jpg