Need Advice from Coaches whose DD pitch...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2013
First off I want to thank everyone on this board for all of there tolerance(lol), help and support through our pitching adventure. We are approaching the home stretch of our first goal. We started taking lessons 6 months ago. Pitched maybe 3 innings in the Fall. So we have started our leagues winter workouts this past Sunday for our Rec. league.

I am just going to be blunt in that ALL of the coaches lined up have daughters who pitch and the DD of coaches of other age groups also "pitch". Loosely using this term because I saw a catcher throwing a few all over the place on Sunday, so I guess we all want to pitch.

So, I talked to our PC and explained and asked, "How do we get a fair look at and consideration without the coach thinking we are trying to be better or take his DD or friend's DD pitching spot?"

At first I was fairly comfortable with our chances when thinking because of the 3 inning max per game, 6 innings, safely a team needs 3 pitchers. But now that it seems a lot more kids are coming out of the woodwork, I am not so sure.

I am not saying we are great, but we have come a long way and throw strikes about 75% of the time now, from 30% when we started with out new PC 4 months ago. She throws hard enough for it to sting me like heck sometimes and she has a decent flip change and is working on a screwball(only because she already threw that way initially--we are just trying to figure out the release on it).

So honestly, coaches whose DD pitches, what would be the best way to approach you to have a look at and be taken seriously without putting you on the offensive?

Our PC said, with this it is the squeaky wheel that gets the grease, but I just don't want to be "that parent."

Any advice would be most appreciated.

GG

May 31, 2012
If she can pitch as good as you say coaches will want her. I would think there would be some sort of tryout for pitchers. At the tryout she's gotta show the goods. Does she have much experience pitching to batters? Ask some coaches to evaluate her skills. Gotta produce under pressure.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Agree with Humpty. If she can pitch she'll be fine. I am a coach with a pitching daughter and I pitched another girl 60% of the time last season. Only at the end did my DD earn the starting spot. But that was after she showed that she was far ahead of her team mate. With inning limits you need 2 decent pitchers.

Aug 20, 2013
Totally agree. She hasn't faced many batters, which is why I want her to be given a try to see if we should keep moving forward with this. TBH, those were the stats from last night's lesson, which was by far the best she has ever done, so this may not be the norm. The PC even said it was her best.....she even threw 4 stingers in a row right to my glove which she has never done. The coach even gave me a wink and smile.

Yes, the do do evaluations for the teams, at the end of the 6 weeks of works outs around March 1st. Should I wait until the try out so she has had 6 more lessons or ask them to have a look see now? So nerve wracking!

I have backed way off her and she is doing way better because of it. I don't want my meddling to give her any issues with the coach IYKWIM.

The PC's daughter took a vid of her and I begged her to email it to me to share. It was the 4 stingers in a row. It only shows her and not where the pitch went, but her whip was awesome for her age and experience.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Practice all of the time. Get really good with the overhand throw. And if you are in a community, where you can be seen pitching with her in the front yard, she will be seen.

Tell her to lead. With each batter show the number of outs, and encourage her teammates. The biggest problem that I see with these little girls, is that no one opens their mouth.

Figure out who the catcher is and see if you can practice with her. Then, get a frozen yogurt or whatever.

Most importantly, let your DD speak for herself.

Jun 24, 2013
If your schedule permits get to practices and games early and have her pitch. When the coach shows up they should see her pitching, you might not have to say a word. They will see she is working on it.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
If your schedule permits get to practices and games early and have her pitch. When the coach shows up they should see her pitching, you might not have to say a word. They will see she is working on it.

And it will be even more impressive (and critical) if she is pitching to another girl and not you.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
GG- accuracy improvement starts with a "wow that was good" practice. Then she will have a few bad ones, then the "wow". Sessions come back more and more frequently, pretty soon wow becomes the norm. Improvement is not linear, it seems to come in chunks. If her mechanics are sound then I bet you are seeing a preview of where she will be in the very near future.

But for 10u Rec, you don't even need to throw a lot of strikes to be a good #2 pitcher. You just need to get to where the catcher can catch them. If she is throwing 30% strikes she will get circle time. If she is throwing 60%. Strikes she will be very effective.

Aug 20, 2013
Awesome guys! Though, if anyone has any advice on how to approach the coach, that would be great too!

May 31, 2012
So the league has six weeks of workouts then they pick teams? I would just show up and pitch before the workouts. She will be seen. Work on IF and OF skills with innings limitations she's gonna need one or 2 other positions.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd