Natural right-hander who throws lefty?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 9, 2023
Hi, DD (14) made varsity as a freshman this year. Something unique about her is that she is a lefty in softball only because she used her friend’s lefty glove when she first started playing. She remembers throwing lefty not being natural at first, but she wanted to be just like her and ended up sticking with it as time went on. I guess it’s worked out so far; she primarily pitches on varsity. She throws and bats left-handed, but does everything else in life right-handed.

I know there are many natural right-handers that bat lefty, and some natural left-handers that throw righty. However, are there any similar stories about a natural right-hander who throws lefty? I am really curious since DD’s case is a bizarre one.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018
I am a natural lefty taught to play righty. I throw a football lefty.

I believe there might be some advantages to having the glove be on your dominant hand. I had a funky arm action growing up that used to cause me elbow pain if I threw a lot. Generally if I made a mistake it was throwing not fielding. Brooks Robinson is also lefty playing righty.

I can throw strikes in bp pretty well by ‘bowling’. I threw bp like that for a long time in men’s modified. But full windmill is a mess. I started playing with windmill 5 years ago when my dd started pitching. I was fooling around recently and the first time I ever tried windmill left handed, I was throwing harder than I can after 5 years throwing right handed.

Jun 18, 2023
I find lefties take to doing things as righties much easier, probably because there are a lot of subtle things in life that are designed for right-handed people that we just have to adjust to.

Just from the math, the righty learning lefty thing has got to be rare. If someone forgets a glove, only around 10% of the available gloves to borrow are going to be lefty. imo, learning to throw is learning to throw, especially if they haven't really done it before. But it's also probably not really a binary thing, some are just a little more ambidextrous and take to it a little easier.

Just had a kid the other day who was righty but she didn't really know how to hold the bat and held it naturally like a lefty. I had her swing from both sides just to see and swinging seemed a little more natural righty but if we'd just gone with it and called her a lefty three weeks from now she'd probably just be a lefty batter.

May 27, 2013
Hi, DD (14) made varsity as a freshman this year. Something unique about her is that she is a lefty in softball only because she used her friend’s lefty glove when she first started playing. She remembers throwing lefty not being natural at first, but she wanted to be just like her and ended up sticking with it as time went on. I guess it’s worked out so far; she primarily pitches on varsity. She throws and bats left-handed, but does everything else in life right-handed.

I know there are many natural right-handers that bat lefty, and some natural left-handers that throw righty. However, are there any similar stories about a natural right-hander who throws lefty? I am really curious since DD’s case is a bizarre one.
Sigh…..here we go again….

Jun 11, 2012
DD writes righty but does most other things lefty. Bowling-lefty, snowboard-lefty, softball-lefty, soccer-dominant left foot.

Funny thing is I had no idea she was lefty dominant when she first started playing softball. She needed a real glove because her t ball glove was too small and she couldn’t catch the ball so we went to Dick’s to get a glove. Her little brother was running around like a maniac and as I was chasing him I told her to find a glove she liked and I’d buy it.
We go to practice that night and she catches everything thrown her way. Her coach makes a comment about not realizing she was a lefty to which I replied that I didn’t realize it either 😂😂

Feb 24, 2022
I am a lefty, but my parents divorced when I was 4. So, when my dad taught me to play baseball he didn't realize that I was lefty, so he taught me right handed. After a year or so, I switched to throwing lefthanded, but to this day I still bat right-handed. In fact, throwing and writing are the only things I do left handed, I play guitar, golf, and use a scissors right handed.

As for baseball/softball, obviously we see parents convert kids to hit lefty, but you really don't see that with throwing. How is your daughter's throwing with her right hand?

Jun 18, 2023
I don’t know but “softballgirl” morphed from “softballdad” the other day. Too bad that thread was deleted.

can see username history in profile.

I didn't remember the previous two posts, but what's even the point of posting the same thing three times and not even engaging?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal

Billy Wagner one of the best LH relief pitchers ever in MLB was a natural right hander. He broke his right hand as a kid and started throwing left handed. The rest as they say is history.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619