My First Ejection

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 22, 2015
N.C., USA
What he said! He was just mad you called him out on it and you were right!

Good story, thanks for sharing!

I had the same experienced (warned next word would be tossed) when the ump said he had seen chalk fly up when the ball hit the leftfield chalk line. I calmly told him I didn't think that was possible since the outfield lines were painted. He took it about the same way as the ump in the original post.

Haha.

Jun 18, 2010
Oh...e*j*ection. I need to get some new reading glasses.

giphy_zpsp6kbrhar.gif

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I am amazed at your restraint as well. This was clearly an umpire who didn't understand more than one rule in this situation.

I have said worse as well. I was coaching third base one time as we were getting into the late innings. It was a tight ballgame so a bit tense, and we were the visitors. Around the fifth inning the blue started calling pitches that were clearly out of the zone as strikes on my hitters -- something that hadn't been happening previously. I called out (for all to hear) "Hey Blue! The strike zone doesn't get bigger as it starts to get darker." Or something to that effect. Got me a warning - but the strike zone did shrink back to normal size.

When I came back to the dugout at the end of the inning I looked at the parents sitting close by and said, "Don't talk to me. I'm bad."

Jan 24, 2011
I had a HS coach that was complaining about strike zone and was warned. He asked blue if he could be ejected for what he was thinking. Blue of course said no........."I think your strike zone sucks".........ejected

Jun 11, 2013
Asking the ump "What other sections of the rule book did you skip" is frowned upon too.

I did once have an ump come up to me between games and say he looked up a rule after the game that he was
wrong. I was very impressed by that.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
I got tossed in 8u once. Not my proudest moment. My 14 year old still makes fun of me, and never fails to tell everybody about it.

The first baseman kept pulling her foot, by about a foot or so, before catching every ball at first. Umpire just kept calling my players out.
Me: That's the third time you missed her foot being pulled. Next time you should try watching the entire play.
Umpire: She didn't pull her foot. Go back to the dugout.
Me: How would you know if she pulled her foot, you aren't even watching the play.
Umpire: I said go back to the dugout.
Me: Fine. But that's not going to improve your eyesight or suddenly make you a good umpire.
Umpire: And now you can go to the stands and not come back...

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Ive been close to getting ejected. Told the ump "oh do I have permission to step onto YOUR field blue?" He got in my face and got all crazy. I told him he needs to relax. Warning, blah blah blah!! 10U all star little league game. IT was funny

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Dang Andy, you made it to 12u before your first ejection, I feel like scum now. :(

My first ejection ( in softball ) was at 6u rec during regional championships. In our local league we taught all 6u teams coach pitch, the "organization" rule that we played under stated that 6u batters could swing only 3 times at the coach's pitches. The rule also stated that if the batter had swung less than 3 times by the 4th pitch, the batter could use a tee for the 5th ( pitch ) at bat. But the rule also stated the pitching coach couldn't verbally or use signals to "tell" the girls NOT to swing, so they could use the tee.

So championship game rolls around, our girls batted their way there like all season long. ( we NEVER used a tee in a game ) The other team, from a couple of county's over, was down a few runs by the third inning, their coach started shaking his head in a "no no........don't swing" motion to every batter so they'd get to use the tee.

After 3 batters in a row, I asked the blue to make him stop and remind him of the rules. Blue walks out to the coach, must have talked about the weather because the coach did the same "no no...........don't swing" motion to the very next batter. Well I lost my cool, told the blue he was a F idiot, yelled to the coach in the circle he was an sorry bitch rear coach who knew what he was doing was wrong.

That started my tossed career. I can tell you it gets easier to swallow, the more it happens. :cool:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01