My Favorite Catcher. Ever.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
That was an awesome story.

An aside: I know Amanda is a super high level player, but look around her Web site and you can see a player making a living at softball and athletics. It isn't only about what a pro league will pay her but her hustle to have many lines of business going -- coach, broadcaster, clothing creator, motivational speaker, etc.

It's really something worth pointing all our girls to see. It's the future of work, very few of us will have one job/one paycheck in the future. And it's a way to follow your passion into a lifelong career.

Rich

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Nice story...
Makes me think back and reflect on myself. Thinking about how I could have or should have handled situations better. My dd views me as just dad, not coach, despite the number of years I've played and coached. So when we do put in some work, I feel like she's just going through the motions and not practicing with a purpose, no real attention to detail. She will huff and eye roll me when I make a corrective suggestion. Then I get mad and its down hill from there. I'm looking for suggestions as to how she and I can build our relationship to something more. Thanks, James

You're not alone, James. I face this battle all the time, and I've talked to numerous other dads who are in the same boat. It's up to us to adjust the way we teach, not for them to adjust the way they learn.

Jun 7, 2013
I had another thought about this post. Doesn't Amanda's article demonstrate that high level
super star athletes can be developed without screaming and sarcastic coaches, etc.? If so,
can we discard such coaching tactics as counterproductive as we have done with Hello Elbow
pitching?-

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
I guarantee you nothing made your dad happier than you simply wanting to spend time with him. My favorite memories are sitting on a bucket or telling DD that a game was on and she would run to sit with me and just watch.

I bought a doublewide recliner so shed "maybe" still sit with me when she became a teenager. It was the best money I ever spent.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
You're not alone, James. I face this battle all the time, and I've talked to numerous other dads who are in the same boat. It's up to us to adjust the way we teach, not for them to adjust the way they learn.

Agreed. DD and I had some tense moments and some practices that I would like to forget. Once I gave her the power to control practices on her own (and only help when asked), things improved dramatically. I still fall into my old habits at times, but she seems much happier now. And therefore I am too.

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
Amanda you are awesome! What a touching post! I can't wait for my dd to read it! I hope it will inspire her to work harder! Thank you!

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
great article , thanks for posting!
It reminded me of the first time DD pitched. her older sister was 10 and (for fun) had been learning how to pitch at a pre-season clinic. Unbeknownst to us, DD#2 (5 at the time) used to watch us and took in what her sister was doing and the feedback she was getting. So finally she did the little sister thing and asked when she could try.
"not now"
finally after we finished , she asked again and I reluctantly agreed.
I talked and she politely smiled and nodded and proceeded to do a perfect windmill, delivering a strike to her unbelieving old man. I had her continue, assuming this was a fluke, beginners luck - but I was wrong.
pitch after pitch they were all in the zone and better than what her older sister threw! (DD#1 never did pitch for real but became a good catcher)
Now DD2 is in 8th grade and is certain that her father just fell off the turnip truck.

So I just smile, nod and catch for her.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
My DD wrote me a poem, once, about our time together. This article from Amanda is going to inspire me to write DD one, for valentine's day.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
great article , thanks for posting!
It reminded me of the first time DD pitched. her older sister was 10 and (for fun) had been learning how to pitch at a pre-season clinic. Unbeknownst to us, DD#2 (5 at the time) used to watch us and took in what her sister was doing and the feedback she was getting. So finally she did the little sister thing and asked when she could try.
"not now"
finally after we finished , she asked again and I reluctantly agreed.
I talked and she politely smiled and nodded and proceeded to do a perfect windmill, delivering a strike to her unbelieving old man. I had her continue, assuming this was a fluke, beginners luck - but I was wrong.
pitch after pitch they were all in the zone and better than what her older sister threw! (DD#1 never did pitch for real but became a good catcher)
Now DD2 is in 8th grade and is certain that her father just fell off the turnip truck.

So I just smile, nod and catch for her.

Great story!
My DD is in 7th grade and the turnip truck makes frequent passes around our house. It's just a matter of time before it is parked here permanently.

Nov 29, 2009
Great story!
My DD is in 7th grade and the turnip truck makes frequent passes around our house. It's just a matter of time before it is parked here permanently.

There is hope the police will come and eventually tow the turnip truck away. It happened after my DD's soph year in HS. The practices were good before that. But after that HS season she became super-motivated and figured out the feedback she got from dad was actually helpful. The overall quality of her pitching increased exponentially that winter. So much so, she ended her HS season with a .036 ERA pitching against the toughest teams in the toughest conference in the state.

I'm sure Amanda will tell you that it's a learning experience for both the player and the parent who catches for them. Once there is a mutual trust/understanding things go much more smoothly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi