My dd has an illegal pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

mike s

Pitcher's Dad
Jul 18, 2011
Northern IL
In regards to Corlay's post about the pitcher doing in essence a walk-through. Don't most rule sets require the pitcher to be on the rubber with hands separated, take a sign (from the catcher or coach) or appear to take a sign prior to bringing the hands together and then starting the pitch? In other words preventing a walk through pitch.
Also I agree with other poster's get rid of the pre-pitch junk, keep it simple and easy.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
thanks for the clarification on the "pause" guys - I stand corrected.

we actually played against a pitcher this season that had no discernible "pause".
She prepared/took her signs from behind the pitchers plate.
Walked forward, timing/pacing her stride so that stride foot made contact with back of plate, and pivot foot heel made contact with front of plate. Then, without any pause in her motion, hands came together, *very* briefly and quickly, just above and in front of her forehead, and she was right into her windup/pushoff and delivered pitch.

To me it looked like a very controlled "walk-though".
And she definitely looked like she was gaining stride distance/velocity advantage, due to her un-arrested forward motion.

*But*, all within the confines of the Rule?

ASA rules require that the pitcher step onto the pitcher's plate with her hands separated, pause and either take or simulate taking a signal from the catcher, then bring her hands together, separate her hands and pitch the ball.

There must be a discernible pause to allow the batter to know that the pitcher is preparing to pitch. Note that the bolded and italicized portion has nothing to do with where the pitcher actually gets her signal.

Corlay...as you describe it, this would be an illegal pitch.

UNO

May 23, 2013
My dd pitched that game, and did a great job.. It was her first game to pitch with first travel ball team, and we have just joined the team.. The extra movement was not a issue or mentioned, but we are getting ready to take all of the extra movement out because we see advantages in simplifying(hillhouse).. I am curious as to how difficult this is going to be.. Anyone have any advice or know what to expect? Thank you for all of the help ..

May 5, 2013
Ohio
Legal or not, clean all that junk out of her motion and routine while you can. Its too much stuff to do every single time you go to pitch. And eventually I believe the extended routine becomes a mental crutch and it distracts the player from what she is really doing.

Don't get me wrong, you want a consistent repeatable routine, but not one that takes more energy then the actual pitch does.

We had a great pitcher fall apart last season because of her routine....very similar to the one above but add a waist twist in there as well. She has now gone back to a solid repeatable/simple routine and has improved tremendously!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom