My catcher-beast...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 9, 2015
She looks really great in those clips!

What are your thoughts on positioning relative to the batter? She is closer to the first batter and deeper with the rest.

Dec 19, 2012
Personally, I like her depth at pitch 2 and pitch 4. Pitch 1 is borderline at that age group because of all the gate swings. Pitch 3 she was a touch deep but not bad IMO. I think she's doing a great job. Keep up the great work little catcher-beast!

Dec 19, 2012
Awesome, mine signs her NLI on Nov.11th. It has been a long wait as well from the Summer of her Sophomore year as well. Maybe they will get to go head to head. That is why she looked younger in the video. 2 years old, I am sure she looks even better now.

I have a different take on setting up. I do not really care if they know location. When it has become a problem we will give the pitcher and ump the target, then remove the target and set up opposite side. Usually only takes once for a big hitter to crowd up on what they think is an outside pitch, then get a called inside strike as they bail out.

Most good hitters I have taught do not like to know location. Pitchers do still miss, and they do not want to change their approach to hitting by looking for a spot. I like how she sets up. Mine sets up earlier than her and it has never been an issue. But she has always been blessed with pitchers in HS that can hit mid 60's and throw it by hitters.

See you in the NCAA's Lenski.

Congrats on your dd's NLI signing in November! I'm sure she'll have a great collegiate career.

I'm with you. It doesn't rattle me if they know location. As with most pitchers I've seen, they are lucky to hit their spot 65% of the time. The girl on 2B tells the batter the location and the ball is somewhere else.....happens alot.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
She looks really great in those clips!

What are your thoughts on positioning relative to the batter? She is closer to the first batter and deeper with the rest.

She has had a tendency to be a little too far back, and that habit hasn't been totally re-programmed yet. It's an area we are in the process of fine tuning.

Personally, I like her depth at pitch 2 and pitch 4. Pitch 1 is borderline at that age group because of all the gate swings. Pitch 3 she was a touch deep but not bad IMO. I think she's doing a great job. Keep up the great work little catcher-beast!

Thankfully, 12U TB tends to have better swings than rec ball at the same age, and big rearward loops aren't found very often. In some of the other video I got yesterday, you can see her hop or crawl forward after giving signs to adjust to the batter's position.

Thanks for the kind words. :)

EDIT...During one of yesterday's games, Maddie got a compliment from an ump on her receiving and pitch presentation. She was pretty happy and proud about that.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2015
All Over I Coach TB
During one of yesterday's games, Maddie got a compliment from an ump on her receiving and pitch presentation. She was pretty happy and proud about that.[/QUOTE]

That is AWESOME. They love that. Most of the guys down her know my DD from her gear and the Monster Energy Logo on the back of her mask. She has proven herself over the years and I feel it gets her a few extra calls throughout the day. Most of them are also NCAA Umps. Told her to put a Monster sticker on the gear she get from school as well. I love that she has Umpires noticing your DD. That means they like how she is working the position and making it harder for them to miss one.

Did I say that out loud.... Sorry Blue.... Great Spot pitcher...:p

Tell to keep working hard, and trailing those runners....

Dec 19, 2012
True story.....

My dd was in a tourney (12u) and about half way through the game the umpire came over to us and stated how comfortable and safe he felt behind our catcher. The very next inning a pitch was thrown in the dirt, my dd went down to block it, it hits the front edge of the plate and plows the umpire straight in the "no-no button". After all the men cringed from seeing the shot to the pills, we checked on the him. The umpire said, "I knew I shouldn't have said nothin'! I knew it!" After we knew he was okay our head coach asked if that was ball one or ball 2. The umpire came back and said it was ball 1, strike 1, and ball 2. It was pretty funny........

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321