My 9yo pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2008
Just putting her out there to what you guys think. She been pitching for a year. She sees my older daughters pitching coach once in a while just to make sure things are going good. Not sure she is gonna be a softball player cus she is a really good soccer player. Thanks for yor input

Mar 13, 2010
Awww the little girl on the end is so cute! All three of them are.

I do see a LOT of wasted movement though. Come up, then go back, then bend then actully pitch. That's three unneeded movements. If she does pitch in games that's a lot of energy being wasted that could go towards the actual pitch.

Jun 22, 2008
Cant tell for sure in the video, but are her hands actually ever coming together?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
In addition to being a total waste of energy, the windup is also potentially dangerous. My DD has a student who developed stress fractures in the vertebrae from this kind of windup. Where do people get this crazy windup?

Sep 7, 2011
I don't believe her hands have to actually have to come together, if so I would love to see the rule that states this. I agree with the others, a lot of wasted energy here. However, if you look all three are doing the same kind of windup, which means the PC is teaching them to do it this way, and I bet the PC won't take a liking to daddy changing her. Maybe some thoughts from the more experienced PC's can offer a delicate way to approach this.

Jun 22, 2008
ASA 6-1-E The pitcher shall bring the hands together for not less than one second and not more than 10 seconds before releasing the ball.

Sep 7, 2011
Aren't her hands coming toghether in the video, looks like they are on the way up, at least for a second. The rule doesn't state the ball needs to be in the glove, or the hand needs to be in the glove with the ball, it just state they need to be together, and in this video they come together while her arms are going up.

Jun 22, 2008
Aren't her hands coming toghether in the video, looks like they are on the way up, at least for a second. The rule doesn't state the ball needs to be in the glove, or the hand needs to be in the glove with the ball, it just state they need to be together, and in this video they come together while her arms are going up.

I dont know, that is why I asked the question. In the video I cant tell for sure if the hands ever actually touch together. Front view it looks like they may, but cant be sure, side view is impossible to tell. No, the ball does not have to go inside the glove, but they must at least touch together. My question was merely a point to look at to make sure in practice she is actually bringing the hands together.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would simplify her pre-motion, so that there is no question that she is legal. Her pitching is actually OK, but she brings too much attention to her motion before she ever pitches.

I question what the instructor is doing with her and would personally watch the Hillhouse video and let her pitch to her strengths, which are athleticism, build and determination.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283