more drama from Florida v Auburn

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Chris Delorit

Apr 24, 2016
Green Bay, WI
Boris Mikhailov, 14-year captain of the most successful hockey program of our lifetime. The USSR Red Army Team. Once proclaimed..."we retaliate to our opponents only by putting goals into their net.

This incident presents an opportunity for Coach Myers and his staff to consider re-evaluation of their expectations of the priviledge of wearing a $40,000 uniform. As well as what is, and what will not be acceptable behavior from his players.

Chris

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Boris Mikhailov, 14-year captain of the most successful hockey program of our lifetime. The USSR Red Army Team. Once proclaimed..."we retaliate to our opponents only by putting goals into their net.

This incident presents an opportunity for Coach Myers and his staff to consider re-evaluation of their expectations of the priviledge of wearing a $40,000 uniform. As well as what is, and what will not be acceptable behavior from his players.

Chris

If it's Ok for President Trump to choose to not shake hands with Chancellor Merkel, why is not Ok for Student-athlete Fagan to choose not to hi five Head Coach Walton?

Chris Delorit

Apr 24, 2016
Green Bay, WI
IMO, Walton knew exactly what he was doing and should receive some significant unpaid vacation. He may be able to bully umpires without repercussions but this can't be let slide. IMO, a player's decision, right or wrong, to not high 5 someone is an issue for their own coach, not the opposing team's coach to address.

On a subject somewhat related to a player choosing not to hi 5 someone, anyone have thoughts on future college championship teams accepting/turning down a visit to the current White House? Make any difference if it were a women's team? Or your own DD's team?

Affirmation. :rolleyes:

Mar 15, 2013
NOT acceptable behavior by the athlete. Leave your personal issues outside the fence and respect the GAME. What if she had a problem with an opposing player? Would we not think it is unacceptable to drop her hand? Quit whining. Suck it up. You see Walton in Walmart and choose to ignore him-fine but on the ball field after a game? Show some class-respect the game that you are privileged to play! And spare me on the unwanted physical contact- yea Walton was an rear but yes the player should shake all opposing player and coaches hands-unwanted contact? Come on people-a handshake? Grow up!! And yeah the Florida coach behaved terribly , emotionally charged and immature. But I have taught my kids it's NEVER ok on the ball field to act like that.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Would we not think it is unacceptable to drop her hand?

Not disagreeing here, but she didn't drop her hand.
Her hand was not up for ANY of the coaches in line during ALL three games and this incident was the third and final game of the series.
The Florida coaches knew she was not high fiving them and TW was the last in the coaching line so I can't buy that it was a surprise.

Oct 27, 2015

This is just wrong.

Canada

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oct 27, 2015
We need to expect more from adults.

He should be more composed.

She should grow up. She's an adult acting like a kid. If your 20 year old acts like a kid then you've not done your job as a parent. If she is going to do stuff like that then expect a response and don't start crying when it happens. If you can't handle all that then just do the high five and deal with your anger another way.

I'd like a fine or suspension for both please. If it was my daughter I'd try to contact that coach and see if we could meet to resolve this feud. Keeping anger like that only destroys a person inside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mar 15, 2013
Not disagreeing here, but she didn't drop her hand.
Her hand was not up for ANY of the coaches in line during ALL three games and this incident was the third and final game of the series.
The Florida coaches knew she was not high fiving them and TW was the last in the coaching line so I can't buy that it was a surprise.

IMO Waltons behavior and rewponse is very wrong..no questuon. But I'm talking about the player. Not shaking hands with coaches? Not acceptable in my book. EVER. You are on the ball field after a game, respect it. IMO the fact that "we" think it's okay has led to a society of entitled and ill prepared young adults in the real world. We should be DEMANDING sportsmanship from our children as they compete regardless of their personal issues with opposing coaches, players fans, parents., umpires. Waltons response whole other topics but the players failure to shake hands 3x? Unacceptbale

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
IMO Waltons behavior and rewponse is very wrong..no questuon. But I'm talking about the player. Not shaking hands with coaches? Not acceptable in my book. EVER. You are on the ball field after a game, respect it. IMO the fact that "we" think it's okay has led to a society of entitled and ill prepared young adults in the real world. We should be DEMANDING sportsmanship from our children as they compete regardless of their personal issues with opposing coaches, players fans, parents., umpires. Waltons response whole other topics but the players failure to shake hands 3x? Unacceptbale

Again, not disagreeing with you on your take of sportsmanship. I would want my DD to act differently post game than HF did.
Just dispelling the common thought out there that TW was caught off guard by HF not putting her hand up for high fives.

May 20, 2015
At this point, 3rd game of the series....Myers obviously knew Fagan wasn't shaking coach hands......she apparently didn't have an issue with it, or she would have addressed it within her own dugout after game 1 - not stating any opinion on Fagan's actions one way or another, that is a team issue, and I am guessing Myers was away and at least accepted her reasons as valid and let it continue.....I trust at this point, Coach Myers will deal with what followed (Fagan losing her cool, even if it is justifiable), and will deal with it within the confines of her team, as it should be.....her choosing not to shake their hands is a team matter, and I find it hard to believe that after doing this twice, the team wasn't aware and, if not supporting, at least accepting her reasons as valid

Walton was clearly in the wrong......he KNEW this had happened twice already, and that she was consistent with not shaking hands with any of his staff.....he saw what happened with his assistant ahead of him, and either reacted poorly or had this reaction planned.....either way, at the very least he lost his cool and reacted poorly in the moment......if it was pre-meditated, i.e. she has done this all weekend and I am "calling her out", then it is 100x times worse......at the very least he needs some sort of public sanction for losing his cool and physically contacting an opposing player

not earth shattering, but needs to be dealt with quickly, clearly imho.......initiating contact in anger/frustration with an opposing player is wrong, period

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes