Model swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I will completely skip the cross over step drill and simple use an open front hip (s)- (open stance drill) or advance to an open stance drill as quickly as possible. There is more stablization in the open stance drill, that can make the cross over step drill more affective then doing the cross over step as the first step.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
5frames,

I just finished watching the video in the first post of "the move". Much of the stuff I already mentioned in my post. I don't agree with everything he is claiming.

The transition in a baseball swing and a golf swing has more "space" created then he is showing. The first time I heard of the importance of back hip stabilization was from a golf biomechanic report. I've never been able to find the same report and it was such a long time ago, I don't think I would have appreciated the importance of what was mentioned (10-12 years ago). It gave some ideas and ways to create a stable back hip, although I can't remember any of the instructions. I would love to read it today with my current understanding.

Jul 20, 2010
From Shawn,
I like the fact of mentioning the back foot and heel, as this is something I have played with and looked at and shown in Pujols and other clips. While hitters may start with the weight somewhat on the balls of the feet, loading in 3D (all 3 planes), places pressure on the heel as well. The entire back foot or 3 points of pressure is felt, 2 points behind the toes and 1 point being the heel. I have noted that many of the hitters I have of a good catchers views start with the back knee somewhat above the toes (ball of foot) and during loading the back knee becomes more vertical with some extension as the heel takes on more weight and pressure. The back knee then starts to release closer to it's starting position.

I will read through the threads you posted. Although this involves more then just external/internal rotations. Chris as I mentioned during Yeagers clinic about coiling into the back hip or against the back hip, there has to be a downward stabilizing action to first stabilize the back leg/hip and torso. And the loading being discussed in the topic involves more then just mere external/internal rotations.

I wish you would continue any thoughts you have here. These may well be the best things I've read from you. That is not placing myself in a position to "judge" your posts,,,I just like where this could go.

I too, used Pujols as an example of the the back knee extending,,,more as a result than an actual / "on purpose" straightening,,,if that makes sense.

One more thing Shawn, can you take another run at showing me, if you would, how you see the COG behind the back knee / foot? You use the term Center of Gravity,,and I admit I'm not following.

Oct 12, 2009
From Shawn,

I wish you would continue any thoughts you have here. These may well be the best things I've read from you. That is not placing myself in a position to "judge" your posts,,,I just like where this could go.

I too, used Pujols as an example of the the back knee extending,,,more as a result than an actual / "on purpose" straightening,,,if that makes sense.

One more thing Shawn, can you take another run at showing me, if you would, how you see the COG behind the back knee / foot? You use the term Center of Gravity,,and I admit I'm not following.

This is an important conversation, but would be best conducted in its own thread.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
lclifton,

I didn't think the COG could be explained easy. I was about to post something else, but it still sounded confusing.

I definitely would like to explore the topic you mentioned. I checked many hitters form a catchers view, from Mantle to Pujols, and many hitters have the same actions you and I have seen. I can't say you can "see it" in every hitter.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I really don't follow this board much - IMHO - too many experts for me - i don't understand alot of the terminology they use - I don't like Epstein - the MLB swing is to hit HR - why? you get paid - I like line drives and hard ground balls - to me hiting needs to be simplified so others can understand - load, stride, spin and transfer weight forward with hand and hips working together - bottom line - barrel on ball ... I have no idea what "the move" is... the preset heal is a shortcut - for people who aren't quick on inside pitches they may have to do it - every player is not world class - so they better find ways they can compete

My understanding of the MLB swing as described by Williams and Epstein is for the hitter to get the plane of the swing on the plane of the pitch quickly and attempt to hit the ball square. Epstein suggest that bigger stronger players can benefit from having a steeper swing plane to hit more HRs, where as smaller players can benefit from using a flatter swing plane to hit more gap to gap lines drives. He stresses that players need to know what type of hitters they are.

As a coach I prefer players that can drive the ball. IMO hitting ground balls is conforming to what the pitcher wants you to do. Epstein writes about an experience he had watching a high school fastpitch practice. The coach was with the pitchers drilling them on how to keep the ball down to induce ground balls. Then the coach walks over to the group taking batting practice and drills them on how to hit the ball on the ground. Epstein didn't think it made a lot of sense for a hitter to adopt a swing that goes along with what the pitcher wants the hitter to do. He believes that a better approach for hitters is to try and counteract what the pitcher is trying to get you to do.

Makes sense to me.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Univ of WA batting practice prior to 2009 road trip leading to WCWS ...

289zdll.gif

i3dgte.gif

May 13, 2008
You should have seen her in H.S., she was awesome... Great player, even better teammate. My daughter was on JV team and Lea did everything... Too Bad two didn't get to play together. Concord High was/is loaded with ball players, there was a senior 1st baseman when she was sophomore. But we won the NCS Title the year after Lea left...

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan