MLB Tim Lincecum pitching with IR

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
One of my many tasks as assistant HS coach is to actually teach girls how to throw overhand properly, how to whip with their arms and bodies. It's not as easy as it sounds. Most girls want to push the ball right past their ear. I teach a three quarter whip and I teach it sequentially just as I teach throwing underhand sequentially. That being said I needed some slow motion video of how men pitch, I need to convey to the girls that our hand belongs outside the elbow at roughly a forty five degree angle as we throw. So I searched for a video to demonstrate this. What I've actually found is a nice video of Tim Lincecum pitching using IR. Enjoy.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Hmmm, I wonder if this is technically considered ER since his palm rotates from in to out? Since it takes place above the shoulder the mechanics are the same as IR underhand. This video highlights the fact that the palm turns out at release and does not face the hitter then turn down.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Lincecum250FPSstopplantInforwFRe-1.gif

V_P_HD_BB_Public_TimLincecum_OH_CH_001_20FPS_SF.gif

Last edited:
May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Awesome!

DD is gonna flip when i show this to her.
"Timmy" is her absolute favorite MLB player.
(This vid is even pre-haircut - even better!)

We took advantage of a rare opportunity to see him pitch vs Yankees last Fall. Timmy vs CC. What a great game that was.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
One of my many tasks as assistant HS coach is to actually teach girls how to throw overhand properly, how to whip with their arms and bodies. It's not as easy as it sounds. Most girls want to push the ball right past their ear. I teach a three quarter whip and I teach it sequentially just as I teach throwing underhand sequentially. That being said I needed some slow motion video of how men pitch, I need to convey to the girls that our hand belongs outside the elbow at roughly a forty five degree angle as we throw. So I searched for a video to demonstrate this. What I've actually found is a nice video of Tim Lincecum pitching using IR. Enjoy.

I just sent this video out to several folks this morning, along with a couple of links from the Throwing thread. Seconds after I opened up DFP and saw this thread!

Recently I've noticed coaches teaching wrist flips and the "L" at gym nights. I asked a coach about it a he said he'd attended a coaching clinic where the "L" was emphasized. I tried it a few times and noticed some pain in my elbow and shoulder. Hoping the video and links will help show that the "L" is not a fixed point in the throwing motion--just a point the arm happens to pass through as part of a much more complex motion.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2013
Washington
I played BB with Tim's older brother and trained with his dad quite a bit during high school. He throw's almost identical to the way his dad through. One thing to consider before we have our girls IR and Er during there overhand motion is when we are in the field we do not want the movement on the throws that we get as baseball pitchers. Not saying its wrong o right just something to think about.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location

I could not see the I/R here. What part of the motion do you see as being I/R? I know that when I throw overhand my palm is facing more towards my body as my elbow comes slightly over the top of my shoulder and I have to E/R my forearm a little to avoid side spin.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
A lot of press around here when he first came up about how his dad modeled the motion on Sandy Koufax because of his size and thus need for efficiency over brute strength. The caveat/question now is, did he break down his body throwing this way, because he can no longer generate the velocity he could a few years ago.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd