Mitt too heavy?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
Went to NECC camp in KC, Kansas last weekend. Loved it. To say Jay Weaver gives attention to minute detail would be a great understatement. It was 6 hours long, with 3 two hour sessions. Jay is a great teacher, and gives them the building blocks to further work on their game. One of the big details we got out of the camp was balance and a low center of gravity for the catcher. My 12 yo DD's quads were definitely burning. The video is good, but Jay mentioned several times how the camp has changed a few things as compared to the video, including the throwing motion. He also taught about glove positioning when catching the ball. Showing the umpire what is a strike (as oppposed to trying to fool the umpire by "framing"). No such thing as "framing" for the NECC.

Way too many details to go into here. But for $200, I would highly recommend any catcher go to this camp. As a matter of fact, my softball association will be contacting Jay for his business proposal in an attempt to bring him to our area next year.

Jan 22, 2011
Way too many details to go into here. But for $200, I would highly recommend any catcher go to this camp. As a matter of fact, my softball association will be contacting Jay for his business proposal in an attempt to bring him to our area next year.

Thanks! I have relatives in New England not far from Nashua, so am definitely planning on taking my daughter to the August camp, since I can't make the Los Alamitos one.

Oct 27, 2009
Hey Eric, The Vinci is a great glove and very light compared to most catcher's mitts. However if you are thinking about getting one get one plenty in advance of actually needing it. It took us a month or so of me working it at night a couple times a week just working it back and forth and bending it in all the right directions and working a ball around in it and forcing it deep into the pocket to form a good pocket and DD warming up girls in practice long before it will be game ready and that is with Casey working it before we got it.

But I tell you what once broken in that glove is an amazing piece of equipment and worth every penny. Get in touch with Case Dawg on the forum here will help with the price too. Great Guy! Thanks again Casey Howell, you were a pleasure to work with. If you are out there reading, my daughter loves her glove.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Hey Eric, The Vinci is a great glove and very light compared to most catcher's mitts. However if you are thinking about getting one get one plenty in advance of actually needing it. It took us a month or so of me working it at night a couple times a week just working it back and forth and bending it in all the right directions and working a ball around in it and forcing it deep into the pocket to form a good pocket and DD warming up girls in practice long before it will be game ready and that is with Casey working it before we got it.

But I tell you what once broken in that glove is an amazing piece of equipment and worth every penny. Get in touch with Case Dawg on the forum here will help with the price too. Great Guy! Thanks again Casey Howell, you were a pleasure to work with. If you are out there reading, my daughter loves her glove.

We're sticking with the Miz 101 for this season, but I'm looking to get my DD into a Vinci for next year. I've already been in touch with Casey, and will get back in touch with him again once I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Went to NECC camp in KC, Kansas last weekend. Loved it. To say Jay Weaver gives attention to minute detail would be a great understatement. It was 6 hours long, with 3 two hour sessions. Jay is a great teacher, and gives them the building blocks to further work on their game. One of the big details we got out of the camp was balance and a low center of gravity for the catcher. My 12 yo DD's quads were definitely burning. The video is good, but Jay mentioned several times how the camp has changed a few things as compared to the video, including the throwing motion. He also taught about glove positioning when catching the ball. Showing the umpire what is a strike (as oppposed to trying to fool the umpire by "framing"). No such thing as "framing" for the NECC.

We'll be at the Columbus, Oh clinic this weekend. Can't wait!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD got a new Nokona glove for Christmas and the first thing she did was complain about the weight. After I broke it in and made her use it for a week I never heard another word about it.....it is kind of like Ringor cleats, they may be a few ounces heavier, but they are built to last!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1