Misc. stuff from IR thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2015
I'm starting to make my way through this sticky. I threw a turnover drop back in the day using HE style. It was always 5-7 mph faster than any of my other pitches. Looking at the videos here, my spin was very much like what I presume to be an IR fastball. Think this could explain why my drop was so much faster? It never really dropped off the table. Maybe it was because I used IR motion for this one pitch but not the right spin for an IR drop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2012
I am not entirely in agreement with you description of the arm motion in throwing and using the proper sequence of the arm motion in follow through and finishing the pitch.
Yes when the arm is bent and wrist cocked in back of shoulder the forearm rotates down into the hip area straight then wrist fingers then forearm fire across the body while the pitcher is sideways then drive the elbow out away from the body into the hello elbow zone. From what I think hello elbow results when the pitcher does not stay sideways long enough so the back shoulder comes around early and the elbow is bent up to the shoulder instead of in the middle of the body. This helps stay behind the ball so the hand does not go around which can happen if you rotate to early or too much and you then turn the hand over like in a turnover drop.
When I teach I pitch all the time so I know how it feels whenever my mechanics bread down. I am 75 years old and can still throw so my mechanics are not the best but I stay behind the ball well and can throw a straight line in 2 and 4 seam pitches and for that matter rise when I E/R as you would call it.

Feb 20, 2012
I wish I knew how to post a video of all my ball movements. Being 75 with arthritis is not easy to pitch but my ball really moves :: drop, rise, curve (back door, front) , inside cutter or screw
I never thought to video myself and post it because I look like an old man trying to pitch a softball. I got fairly good control of all the pitches even the rise which comes in at the top of catchers head.

I use 2 seam knuckle, where I place the tip of my index finger spread away from the middle finger and ring finger. I place both the middle finger and ring finger on the horseshoe seams and when I snap the ball I twist the ball outward so both my middle and ring finger are practically on top of ball then all you have to do is push the index finger into the ball and snap up on the other two fingers to get the spin.
The ball can also be thrown like a true knuckle ball without spin kind of like Michelle Smith does and that pitch boars through the air better making it harder to judge the movement.
If you get a chance go to softball fanatic Jimmy Moore and he throws this pitch much better than I do.
Put a tape on ball two seams and if you can throw the ball with tight rotation 3/4 spin then it really moves and is hard to hit.
It usually takes hours and hours of practice to obtain a tight rotation essential for a good rise.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG